Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad's 2000 taurus, he went to start the vehicle and the key had no resistance to it and the car just did not crank. When he turned the key back to the off position and removed it from the cylinder the car still had power going to it...dash warning lights were still on, radio was still on, etc. Had to disconnect the battery to prevent from draining it. Changed ignition cylinder today and nothing is different. Whats the deal? Not sure if this is a common or recurring problem. Any help is appreciated.

I was going to try a few things but i needed to remove some panels from the dash (column shifter :banghead: ), and this thing is just a pain in the butt to work on. Couldnt even get the darned huge radio/ac assembly out with the DIN tools.

Also, is it me or is the search function not working? Im the type that rather search first than bother people with my problems, but i tried yesterday and today and the search function just doesnt work?!?...um...HELP?

Thanx guys.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The ignition switch is under the steering colum, not behind the key. There is a rod that operates the switch. Remove the cover on the bottom of the dash under the steering colum to gain access to the switch. disconnect the battery negative term before removing the switch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the cover off and I saw the switch...i thougth about running out and buying it but decided to ask first. You think that the actual switch is bad or could it be something else mechanically wrong in there taht I should check?

Also, if it is the switch....do you happen to knwo what years are compatible with this 2000 SE? I might run to the junk yard and grab one. It depends on price.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It may not be the switch.. it may be the rod in the column that moves the switch.. you need to take the switch off and maybe drop the column down and get in for a closer look.. i've replaced a few of them on different vehicle for that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Nidan@Apr 26 2006, 12:40 PM
It may not be the switch.. it may be the rod in the column that moves the switch.. you need to take the switch off and maybe drop the column down and get in for a closer look.. i've replaced a few of them on different vehicle for that.
You were right. I was fiddling with the car today and took out the switch. I noticed that the yellowish plastic rod moves when you turn the key, but the part that actually moves the position on the switch does not. Not sure what that means, on thunderbirds there's a pin connecting two pieces of that rod but that pin is on top of the column and really easy to get to. On this car I cant really see where the pin could be and whats worst, the shift lever is in the way. I was thinking of droping the steering column but i was wondering if anybody knows if this plastic rod piece thing is replasable at all. I cant really see where a pin could be or any sort of opening that would allow for this piece to be changed. Any help appraciated! I really dont wanna change the steering column unless its my last choice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i guess this weekend im just gonna drop the steering column and see if I can fix/repair that thing. IF not i'll hit the junk yard and swap columns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts