Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 taurus its been sitting for quite a while but sense its been sitting I have moved an in the move I lost the key for it I have checked on to getting a key made its going to be about 150 bucks don't really have the money to get one made for it so my question is is there anyway to by pass the security system or theft system on the car to where I could just like pop the colum on it an start it with like a screw driver an not have to have a key made for it any help would be great thank you

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm sure others with more knowledge about the PATS system will chime in but I think the answer is going to be if you don't have a working key you're going to have to bite the bullet and pay a dealer to have a key made.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
Call a few local locksmiths and see if they can do it for less that the Ford Stealer. As noted above, no easy way to bypass the PATS. Starter relay will not engage if the PCM doesnt see the correct code or no code from the chip key.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get an inexpensive USB connected ELM27 based (genuine chip or many clones will work) OBD2 device, a laptop running Windows and the free ForScan software. You have to get a free key code for ForScan to enable the key programming part. ForScan will also work with a VCM2 clone.

You MUST have a device that really does do OBD2. There are many out there that claim to do OBD2 and CAN but really only do CAN - and your 2003 is not CAN. CAN didn't start until 2004, only some 2004 models have CAN, all 2005 are supposed to be CAN. I have a couple of Bluetooth dongles that claim to be OBD2 and CAN but until I got my 07 Expedition they didn't work on any vehicle I had, not even the 2004 Dakota I used to have. They work great with the CAN system in the 07.

Buy keys off eBay. Find a locksmith that can cut a key using a lookup from your VIN, or call every dealer until you find one who will A. cut a key from your VIN and B. not rip you off just for doing the cutting. Also google cut a key from VIN, you'll find places that can do it. Don't know hoe much, that's for you to look up.

ForScan should tell you the key turning sequence to activate key programming mode, or it may do it itself. If not, you should be able to find the sequence on the web. Once you're in programming mode you're forced to wait a few minutes, then you can program the key. TEST THE KEY to make sure it will start the vehicle. Program a second key then test it.

Now with two working keys you have two options. Use the two key procedure to program the remaining keys, or use ForScan to reset the system, wiping all the key codes. If you chose to reset, you'll need to use ForScan to program at least two keys, do the two you know work. Then if you really like waiting through the car thief inconveniencing delays you can program them all with ForScan.

If you chose to just program one new key with ForScan then use the two key method for the rest, keep in mind how many lost keys you had programmed. If all the slots were used you have to do a reset in order to program any new keys. Starting with no working keys and all slots programmed, you'll have to do the reset and hopefully your eBay keys are compatible. Contact the seller on eBay with your vehicle info to make sure you get a compatible key. If they say "All Fords use the same!", buy from someone else. 90's and 00's Fords use different keys. I've never bought an incompatible security key off eBay - because I do the research to ensure I get the right one.

I know Fords with these security keys can support at least four keys, some IIRC can do six. I think my Expedition can do four. I ForScanned one then used the two key method for the third because it was super hot in summer and I didn't want to reset it and have to spend more time programming two keys. So it has the 4th slot taken up by the other original key I don't have. If I want a 4th key I'll have to reset it and ForScan at least two keys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts