Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! I am new here and new to the taurus line. i found a old 99 3.0 that i thought was in good shape. here is the problem. the car has two major glitches. 1st...when you turn off the car and start to get out, the car still chimes like the key is in the ignition. but here is the funny thing, if i just put my hand on the key hole on the steering column it shuts it up. here is the kicker...if i do not do my magic hand trick, and proceed into a store, when i come back the car won't start. problem 2..i think i figured it out. my cruise didn't work, so i searched the forum and i am going to replace the activator switch. however, once i took the switch off the pedal to take it to the auto store to make sure i got the right part, now my car won't start.

any help very much appreciated. i tried searching but didn't find anything about the key thing. i did read something about a clockring, but nobody said what it was.

update:after two hours of sitting my car did start.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Clockspring - but that's in the steering wheel/steering column.

Very likely the key beeping is the result of a tiny switch in the ignition switch not registering that the key is out. You might try a light lubricant sprayed on the key or into the ignition switch key hole, with paper towels handy and not your good pants on...

it might just have something to do with the theft protection and therefore electronic in relation to your PATS key, if the 99 was set up that way, but I'm thinking it's just mechanical, in the switch itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i still can't figure out the chiming, but it seems the ignition does wiggle a little bit and when "pushed in the right direction" it stops chiming.
good news is, i fixed the cruise control. it was the cruise control deactivator switch, 18.99 at o'reillys. and the starting problem seems to be the starter. i am on my way back to o'reillys to test the old starter. will reply back if that is it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
replaced the starter. way easy two bolts and two wires. went to o'reilllys. they tested the old one it was shot. got a new one (124.99). went home put on new one(took 45mins including drive time). fixed. starts everytime.

still don't know the chime thing. how hard is it to replace the key column. i believe that is the culprit??

side note. if you suspect the starter is going out and your taurus won't start but you have to get somewhere, go underneath the front of the car with a 19mm wrench and whack the front of the starter. its a good last resort if you are in a bind.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
QUOTE (exia @ Mar 26 2009, 07:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712585
replaced the starter. way easy two bolts and two wires. went to o'reilllys. they tested the old one it was shot. got a new one (124.99). went home put on new one(took 45mins including drive time). fixed. starts everytime.

still don't know the chime thing. how hard is it to replace the key column. i believe that is the culprit??

side note. if you suspect the starter is going out and your taurus won't start but you have to get somewhere, go underneath the front of the car with a 19mm wrench and whack the front of the starter. its a good last resort if you are in a bind.[/b]
My Sable's chime will still ring when the key is out. Jiggling the ignition shuts it up. The ignition switch is worn. These are pretty crappy quality, as I have already replaced it once before. I just make it a point to make sure its quiet before I leave the car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts