Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been rolling on 17's for about 40,000 miles now. My car came with 205/65 General AmeriG4S tires on stock 15" rims. I replaced them with the 225/45/17's Kumho Ecsta 712's on 17" x 7.5" rims. I put about 35,000 miles on two sets of Kumho's. Then I switched to 235/45/17 Yokohama AVS ES100's. Much better tire IMO. After about 5,000 miles I took them off because I decided there was just too much weight on the suspension and threw the stock wheels back on with the same old General tires and have driven about 3,000 miles.

Here is what I found.

First of all the car rides much better, considering it is lowered with Eibachs and KYB's. The extra bit of rubber on the sidewall really takes out alot of the harshness and little bumps that were felt with the lo-pro's. It's still a firm ride. The ride is also quieter.

Second, the car has less lateral traction. These old General tires just plain suck, but they have kept their balance. I've never needed to get these tires balanced and they have about 35,000 miles on them. The lo-pro tires needed to be balanced at least every 10,000 miles, sometimes more often. In wet weather the car is scary to drive. I slid through an intersection the other day sideways.... stopped traffic. Luckily nothing bad happened and I regained control without incident. The lo-pros had excellent traction in the wet. The Yoko's are great and the Kumho's are good for their price. In dry weather the crappy Generals are kinda fun. They squeel and chirp around every turn and offer more low speed oversteer as the rear end kicks out.

Lastly, the gas mileage...... I measure my gas mileage at every fill up religiously. Since I mounted the big 17's I have averaged about 20mpg over 40,000 miles. After swapping the stock 15's my gas mileage is 26mpg on every tank for the last 10 fill ups (3,000 miles). That's an improvement of 30%. That's substantial when gas cost $1.65 a gallon. That's almost a savings of $300 a year on gas!!!

I feel that 16" wheels are the best compromise between appearance, performance, and mileage. So my next set of wheels will be 16's. For now, the car is without it's big shoes. I'll have to find something or someone to take the wheels with almost new $700 Yoko's and get some decent all season performance tires in 205/65/15 or 215/60/15.

Big wheels, especially those over 17" or 225 are for appearance only. The increased weight and drag caused by these large wheels greatly impact the drivability and performance of the car. The bigger the rim more $$$, the bigger the tire more $$$. Just something to consider before spending alot of money on rims and tires.

·
Registered
663 Posts
wth economic advices. I thought this was about $bling. <_<

J

·
0 Posts
I got these tires on my stock 16's and they are incredible:

http://www.deantires.com/us/en/ProductDeta...assenger&id=227

They're actually made by Cooper (rebranded), and have excellent wet, dry and snow traction. I absolutely love them - it was a night and day difference after replacing my Firestone Affinity's (OEM) with these. I'm the only person that can get out of my friend's driveway (that is iced over right now) without spinning my tires.
Plus they have a nice quiet ride to them and the car just feels like it's planted on the road much better. I've had these tires for about 1000 miles now and I don't have a single complaint.
I was going to get Continental ContiExtremeContacts (http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/themes/pc_tyres/performance/conti_extreme_contact/master_en.html), but when I was shopping around (locally), I went to this local place by me and told the guy what I wanted and he said he could get the Continentals for me (for an excellent price, too - like $420 for all 4 installed, out the door) - but he also showed me these Coopers and said these are a brand new model that Cooper just put out after spending tons on R & D and that these would be as good as, if not better than the Continentals. Since this is a very reputable place and a few of my relatives went there with good reults, I took his word for it and got them for $380 out the door with 70k mile warranty, free balance & rotation every 6k miles plus road hazard coverage. So I'm definitely happy with the purchase.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
what about if i have 16's stock?? wouldnt going to a 17" wheel be less drastic of a change that going from a 15 to a 17?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
My car came with 16's stock i have stock continenta tires on these rims have over 25,000 mile the tires are in great shape all i did was sell my stock rims and get some chrome wheels to put my stock tires on. Anyhow my mileage is consistent at anywhere from 23-26 mpg. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by Smola97GL@Feb 5 2004, 10:49 AM
Well after having 15's, 16's, and 17's I would have to say that the all around best is the 16.
I second that! I too have found that after running 15's, 16's, and 17's, that 16's are the best compromise in looks and performance.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Don't forget to add in brake upgrades. It's a good idea to upgrade the brake system if you go anymore than one size above stock, in my eyes anyway. The stock brakes aren't made to hold back all the extra rotational force made by the bigger rims. <---reason I'm not allowed to put 16's on mine <_<

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I dont know about everyone else, but I love riding on my 17's. Better handling, better steering feedback, and of course better looks.I keep a very good record of gas mileage, and I lose zero mpg with the 17's. The 16's definitely ride better, but they are also alot more floaty feeling and dont even come clsoe to offering the same amount of lateral grip that my 17's do. This has alot ot do with tire compound and width, but it's still relevant I think.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by Ryne@Feb 5 2004, 02:13 PM
Don't forget to add in brake upgrades. It's a good idea to upgrade the brake system if you go anymore than one size above stock, in my eyes anyway. The stock brakes aren't made to hold back all the extra rotational force made by the bigger rims. <---reason I'm not allowed to put 16's on mine <_<
Granted if you have a large brake upgrade you must stay with 17's. But if your brakes are no larger than the factory rotors, then 16's are a good choice to stick with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
are u serious, gas??? who cares, IMO I think girls like 17's or bigger, so I stay with what Ive had luck with hehe, of course 16's arent bad either, but I think its all about the bling!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by taurus8916@Feb 5 2004, 04:21 PM
are u serious, gas??? who cares, IMO I think girls like 17's or bigger, so I stay with what Ive had luck with hehe, of course 16's arent bad either, but I think its all about the bling!!!!!!
I'm not in highschool and I don't use my Taurus to get chicks..... I use it to drive to work and haul friends around.

After years of driving more performance oriented cars, I have tried to bring the Taurus up to that level, at least in handling. I think I've done a fair job with what is available in the aftermarket, but not completely satisfied. A big part of the problem are the rims currently fitted to car. They are too heavy. Some lightweight 17's would be nice, but I have more important things to spend my cash on. To me, looks are secondary to performance. Function over form. I do alot of commuting in this car so gas mileage is improtant.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I plan to purchase a set of 17X8 OZ Racing Superleggera for the SHO. I purchased a set of 13" Baer Racing brakes and the caliper won't clear the stock slicers. The main reason I chose the OZ wheels is because they weigh 17 pound each. I was considering centerline wheels but the load rating is a little too low for my comfort.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts