Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am glad to see that no one has bid on this Supercharger. even though we don't have a feasible application of a supercharger yet, its not worth the $170 it'll cost you to get 1 psi of boost.

In the page they mention 10%-15% Whp. and that is produces 250 cfm. I'd like to see them back up their claim cause i know it's not going to happen

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree!!!! You can get the same thing making a blower out of an electric leaf blower and installing a power converter under the hood. It sounds funny but unfortunately I have seen this done :lol2:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Isn't the main problem with electric superchargers that after a certain engine RPM they can't pull enougfh air into the engine? I guess this would be because of their static speed. In theory, if an electric superchargers output was higher than what the engine required at its max RPM then they would benefit. But then if everyone thought like that we'd all have industrial sized electric fans sticking out of our engine compartments.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Even if it was capable of producing the 1 psi, considering atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psi, this would only work out to an increase of 7% more air mass. Where do they get 10%-15%? As for the 250 cfm rating, I'm assuming this is under no resistance, meaning they just hooked up to a flow bench to get this rating. What happens when your car starts drawing more than 250 cfm, does the SC become a restriction itself?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Why hasn't someone made a speed/rpm variable output electronic supercharger for applications with space constrictions?

-Scott

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by Ict_Lx@Aug 15 2004, 09:46 AM
Why hasn't someone made a speed/rpm variable output electronic supercharger for applications with space constrictions?

-Scott
Because they don't even work in the first place, it's a waste of money.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, electric superchargers are weak.

I'll tell you where the cheap power is at, guys. God willing, and if I get together enough money, I'd like to fund a man-powered supercharger. What you do is hire a small child to sit in your engine bay and blow into your intake REALLY, REALLY hard. It probably produces about the same amount of air and PSI as the leaf blower, I mean 'supercharger', and for a fraction of the cost. For 4-5 PSI, you give him a piece of candy. If he doesn't produce at least 3 PSI, you send him to bed without dinner.

And the boost gauge would be hooked up to him kinda like a breathalizer, to see how much boost his little lungs are pushing, and hey, you can tell if the little bastard's been drinking on the job.

I don't see how it can fail. :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by mrcow32@Aug 15 2004, 01:25 PM
And the boost gauge would be hooked up to him kinda like a breathalizer, to see how much boost his little lungs are pushing, and hey, you can tell if the little bastard's been drinking on the job.
:lol: It's like alcohol-injection then! :)

Electric Superchargers, E-Rams, Tornadoes, Vortexes... J U N K

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
why did they have to put it on a Chrysler 3.0 :(

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
jealousy of the mad vulcan powah :ph34r:

But shiiit... give me a small road cone and a battery...I bet that should would work perfect on my lawn mower

23 year old craftsman... Kohler motor.... Supercharged, now thats pimp B)

I think I'm gonna start "Pimp my lawn equipment"

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight/

Well, just wanted to show the exception to the rule; But just to beat a dead horse, you got to pay to play, and in the case of a proper electric supercharger, it needs the proper foundation (hi-output alternator, proper wiring, ECU tuning) to make it work as it should.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Now thats more logical....

Where can I get it?

I think it would be alot easier to mount another alternator and some batteries than mounting a.... conventional? supercharger...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If you read that article about the "real" electric supercharger, the guys states that it's a centrifugal design, without the parasitic losses. Doesn't he realize that using that much power puts a parasitic drain on the engine by making it work harder to charge the eletrical system through the alternator?

JR

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
If you read that article about the "real" electric supercharger, the guys states that it's a centrifugal design, without the parasitic losses. Doesn't he realize that using that much power puts a parasitic drain on the engine by making it work harder to charge the eletrical system through the alternator?
T: Can the batteries be charged from the alternator?
TK: Yes*, but see additional notes:

*If the alternator is stock, we suggest four or more standard batteries or Optima batteries, which will provide longer running times. These will be heavy, so you can eventually replace the alternator with a 200-plus-amp unit and switch to the smaller and lighter Odyssey batteries.
*If the alternator is upgraded, battery technology has come so far that a standard car battery can now be replaced with a 13-pound 3x6-inch battery that has more cranking amps than a big conventional battery. Hawker-ODYSSEY has the best units, in our opinion. The additional batteries and the ESC-400 weigh less than the typical complete turbo kit.
If I'm reading everything correct, you'd be using a single more powerful alternator. Electric supercharger or not you'd be pulling the same amount of power out of the engine regardles. The engine shouldnt work harder to keep the battery charged, however if you are using your stock alternator (which would probably be our case sence I have never seen a 200amp for our cars), I Wouldnt suggest running it under 2,000 rpms for long periods because I dont think you'd be able to maintain a charge.

Thats how I see it anyways.... *shrugs*

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
http://www.boosthead.com/home.php

$2195 for the "550" which is for engines bigger than 2.5L

Includes · Blower ONLY

Fits · Most engines up to 4.0L

Max Recommended PSI · Stock engines should be limited to 5-7PSI
Maximum CFM · 550 @ 5.5PSI

Maximum Duration · 15 seconds

Wouldnt we be looking at at least $3k for this project?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
That's a cool article, I read that before and was going to mention it but I could not find the link. Glad someone else posted it. It's a cool idea but to me, it's not that proctical. At over $2,000 for the SC alone, you could have a permanant supercharger installed that will work for you all day, with this it will work till the battery runs out.

Cool, but not worth the money. Install nitrous if you want short bursts of power.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did, a while back, see an electric supercharger on ebay that looked legit. It said it was a turbo, minus the turbine. In place was a fairly large electric motor. The description did say that you would need to enhance the existing charging system to use it. It said it was German made. Who knows, maybe I'm just gullible.

Am I the only one here who thinks it would be bad @$$ to have the Mercedes "Kompressor" badge, in place of the trim level badge on our cars? That is, of course, assuming you can back it up :(
~~Maverick~~

1 - 20 of 26 Posts