Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2003 ford taurus with sport engine. the problem I am having is the car has a hard time idling , especially when the car is in drive and stopped(stop light or stop sign) The idle starts to jump a little then wants to stall. If I don't hit the gas it will eventually stall. If it stalls it always starts back up

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Edit: Welcome to TCCA.

Will it stall if you quickly shift into "N" when about to come to a stop????
When it's about to stall, does it feel like the engine is still in gear & pulling????
If so, maybe suspect the torque converter isn't unlocking when coming to a stop.

If not, maybe suspect the IAC is acting out

Let us know what you find..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No the car doesn't stall when I shift into neutral when coming into a stop, the idle will return to normal if I do that then while in neutral it will eventually go into stall mode then stall.

When it's about to stall, does it feel like the engine is still in gear & pulling???? no

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I'm not sure how to test for the codes. I'm pretty sure I would need some equipment to hook up to the car's computer. right?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure how to test for the codes. I'm pretty sure I would need some equipment to hook up to the car's computer. right?
An OBDII scanner. Sometimes local parts stores will have them on sale for ~$50. IIRC, Autozone scans for free, but don't quote me on that. I live in Canada where we don't have Autozone, and everyone I know wants around $90 to scan a code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An OBDII scanner. Sometimes local parts stores will have them on sale for ~$50. IIRC, Autozone scans for free, but don't quote me on that. I live in Canada where we don't have Autozone, and everyone I know wants around $90 to scan a code.
Yeah your right, all the Autozones around where I live (Utah) will scan for free.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm glad you found an AutoZone. Most parts stores will test for free and give you a print out of codes and that helps save you from wasting time and money on what is NOT wrong with your car and concentrate on what IS wrong. Anyway, it sounds to me like its the IAC valve and that part runs about $55 inc tax and w/gasket. It took me 5 minutes to install and you just need a 8mm socket to remove the two screws. Just to be sure check your fuel filter also and check to see if your cylinders are all working normally. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now what

Changed Iac and mass air flow sensor. After I changed the IAC the problem went away for the day (I drove around for about 4 hours in the morning) then later that night the problem came back with a new code the o2 sensor.

When parked, neutral or in drive the idle gets rough starts bouncing up and down then the idle lowers in rpm's and then stalls. Usually it will start right back up and every now and again I have to give it fuel or let it sit then retry. Any Help would be great. Thinking it maybe time to send to mechanics

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What was the specific O2 code? If it was lean you may have an open PCV line or an intake gasket leak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts