Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all....

I am hoping to find at least one kind soul to take pity on me as my daily driver has finally blown up the idler/tension pulley for the PS pump/Water pump.

After an exhaustive search,on the phone, on line and on the shoe leather express, I come up empty handed. I love my driver and being without it is like... well you know.

To top it all off, the local weather decided to throw one more winter blast at me and in addition to the 4 inches of new snow overnight, temps are in the low single digits....

and if that weren't enough... well, that's enough for now.

Anyway, looking for that pesky idler pulley for my 91 SHO and hope someone can help.

desperate in WA....

:blink:

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Any chance of rebuilding the bad tensioner? A metal job shop might be able to press in a new bearing, for example -- if Yamaha used stock bearing components rather than engineering and building their own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 11 2009, 06:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707466

Unfortunately Spokane, WA is not the end of the earth but you can see it from here - my choices are quite limited! When the bearing failed, it fell out of the pulley so I have been searching for the bearing itself with the same idea of rebuilding the thing.

But it seems this part # NSK BD20-15DWA (it's right from the old bearing dust seal) doesn't cross reference to anything obvious and my search on the NSK web site doesn't seem to find that part number.

I have even been to NAPA who tried to interchange it with one from Gates that has the same or similar overall dimensions and I've tried the same move online with Dayco. No luck

Alas it seems for now that I am destined to locating someone that has one they don't need anymore.

Any one able to help will put this beloved daily driver back on the road and get e off the bus ! :eek:

Many thanks -

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I was all set to tell you that NAPA sells lifetime warranty idler and tensioner pulleys until I noticed you're looking for pullies for a SHO.

You might try shooting Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com an email as well - it's not listed in their parts catalog, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't find you one.

Another option might be measuring your original pulley - NAPA might have one that is the same size and will work that isn't listed for the SHO. They look like fairly standard pullies, and they should be able to find you one that's the same diameter. You might luck out and find one that fits.

One of the more SHO-oriented people might be able to give you more specific advice, but that's what I thought of. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Mar 11 2009, 02:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707600
I was all set to tell you that NAPA sells lifetime warranty idler and tensioner pulleys until I noticed you're looking for pullies for a SHO.

You might try shooting Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com an email as well - it's not listed in their parts catalog, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't find you one.

Another option might be measuring your original pulley - NAPA might have one that is the same size and will work that isn't listed for the SHO. They look like fairly standard pullies, and they should be able to find you one that's the same diameter. You might luck out and find one that fits.

One of the more SHO-oriented people might be able to give you more specific advice, but that's what I thought of. :)[/b]
Many thanks for the replies and as it turns out, this is a proprietary bearing and no duplicated by very many. After exhaustive search, the closest "match by spec" to this bearing's OD 37mm x ID 20mm x Width 15mm is really not even close and 9mm width.

Napa was a joy to work with but in the end, they just don't have anything that comes close - Gates is their source and as I said earlier, Dynco doesn't have one either.

So for the die hard Gen 1 owner, you might want to search and find 1 or 2 of these - the bearing is the same in both the 4 groove and the 6 grove idler pulley.

I finally found mine at SHO Source. Curt & Mike were a joy to work with and I'm getting the part overnight. Honorable mention to SHO Nut who listed the part online but doesn't have a way to talk to him which just doesn't work so well for me being a true Alpha personality and honorable mention to the SHO shop in the northeast (can't find the link just now), had it not been for him being out of town I might have already received the part today.

Seems this pesky yet vital little part is worth keeping on the shelf. My lesson of anticipating that parts for these old but dear SHOs are becoming harder to find has been well learned. I'll also post when I find those parts that prove to be, as they say, scarce as hen's teeth!

TTFN and thanks for the help. B)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts