Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may seem like a Noob question but I'm a little confused.

I just ordered the part of RockAuto. I'm going to be doing the Compressor and Condenser this weekend and figured I would replace the Tensioner pulley that is in the bull since it hasn't been replaced and maybe causing a bit of a squeak.

So I ordered the 4 Seasons part# 45979. The shipping label says tensioner pulley, however the box itself says idler pulley.

So, is there a difference between the two for the pulley? Is this the right part that I ordered? I replaced the Idler pulley about a year ago and that seems fine.

I just figured I would twist the 10mm bolt off and toss on a replacement part.

Sorry again for the noob question but it just doesn't seem right.

~Matt

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You ordered only the belt tensioner pulley or the entire assembly?

This is what the entire assembly looks like.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jul 15 2009, 04:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739683
You ordered only the belt tensioner pulley or the entire assembly?

This is what the entire assembly looks like.

[/b]

I only ordered the pulley, not the assembly. I was under the impression that the assembly only had to be replaced if the tension on the belt was not strong enough. If the grease in the pulley is going, then the pulley could only be replaced.

Is this an accurate assumption?

It just threw me off that the box is labeled Idler Pulley, but the part number corresponds to Tensioner Pulley (on RockAuto).

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are right - if there is no problems with tension, only pulley has to be replaced.
About difference between pulleys - not sure about 2001 car, in G2 3.0 (up to 1995) they had slightly different diameter.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
idler pulley is instaleed and can not adjust or move.

tensioner pulley is able to move to adjust the whole belt.

you just bought the pulley for the tensioner assembly. that same pulley is used as a idler on other cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts