Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'02 Taurus Vulcan, 170k miles.
I just bought the vehicle in northern Maine (I'm the the only one who would!) It was sitting since May. I know a Taurus should start really quick and this one usually does, but sometimes it takes about two seconds to start. It makes this dull knocking sound when it does that, but it's not from the motor. When it starts right up, it's fine.

At idle, it jumps up about 2-300 rpm and sometimes drops down to 300 rpm almost stalling. It does this in park and neutral, but not drive. While it does this, it seems and sort of sounds like a misfire (but it's not). There is a very fast, dull surge sound like "shhooo" from the motor which sounds like something getting shot through a tube. The motor drops down a bit when it does this like you're revving it. It drives fine and only does this when idling.

I checked the PCV, cleaned the MAF and replaced the air filter with no luck. Have not checked IAC (?) Plugs and wires are 3 years old and all good. Very clean oil. Nothing else is wrong with the car.
Any ideas? Could make a video if it were to help!

·
Registered
22,490 Posts
May clean/replace iac and check for vacuum leaks. If you replace the iac, I recommend sourcing the Motorcraft brand from RockAuto online.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
Try cleaning it, use the MAF cleaner. If it sat the carbon may have 'hardened'. If that doesn't do it DON'T go with aftermarket, Motorcraft only. The % of aftermarket failures are ridiculous. Here's a pic for location purposes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much! I will get to that after I fix the hole in the sub frame. For some reason, shops won't give me an alignment without it being fixed. Will report back!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Unfortunately I found out he said that because of liability issues. I had to mention I didn't want a warranty. The control arms are fine, but where the driver's side bolts into the subframe is a hole through one side, and a small one on the other. This is worse news than I thought. It's a shame too. This car is running and driving perfect now.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
If you remove it you will be able to see the valve inside clean it with CRC Throttle Body & Air Intake cleaner or something similar that is sensor safe. Keep the solenoid end up while cleaning to eliminate seepage into the solenoid. Once you have it cleaned lube with a small amount of dielectric grease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts