Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, my car has the rough idle issue but my question is:

Idling in park, what should it be idling at?
Idling in drive, what should it be idling at?

Right now it sits around 600-800 (more towards 600 though) and i feel as if
that is a bit low for what it should be.. and it tends to stumble/run rough when it
gets that low when im idling.

Thanks
P.S - I have already replaced the PCV Valve and IAC Valve to no avail.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Should be around 650rpm when the engine is hot. You may want to check/clean the IAC valve, and clean the throttle body with carb cleaner. Check the topic finder before cleaning those for the instructions. Another thing to check for is vac leaks, the UIM mounting gaskets are prone to fail with age.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (austex04 @ May 21 2010, 06:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=805936
Should be around 650rpm when the engine is hot. You may want to check/clean the IAC valve, and clean the throttle body with carb cleaner. Check the topic finder before cleaning those for the instructions. Another thing to check for is vac leaks, the UIM mounting gaskets are prone to fail with age.[/b]
As stated, I just replaced my IAC valve... its brand spankin' new! so I doubt it'd need to be cleaned.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the rpm is within +-150 from 650 then it is in spec.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, well it does idle at those specs sometimes, but most of the time it is around 600-700ish and runs pretty rough.
What do you think could be the cause of this? and like i said earlier, i already replaced the PCV and IAC valve's to no avail.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
When was the last time a tune was done? Did the problem start soon after? The next step I would do would be to take off the coil pack and have it bench tested, and also check the resistance of the wires, after checking for more vac leaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts