Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 SEL has a problem idling when in drive, sitting at a stoplight at a stop. the idle is bumpy, meaning it idles but it will feel as if somthing is bumping in there. Not a regular interval, just once, then a few times the once or twice. irregular, but is doesn't go away. Something like that. Hot of cold, makes no difference.The 'bump' is reflected in the tachometer. If I take it out of drive, ie: park or neutral, it idles fine. No check engine light. Is this a warning of fun times to come with the mechanic? THANKS in advance!

·
Registered
89 Posts
It might. I'm no mechanic but shifting from Park to Drive probably adds a bit of load to the engine which would mean more fuel and air being put into the cylinders hindering the effect of the poor idle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2001 SEL has a problem idling when in drive, sitting at a stoplight at a stop. the idle is bumpy, meaning it idles but it will feel as if somthing is bumping in there. Not a regular interval, just once, then a few times the once or twice. irregular, but is doesn't go away. Something like that. Hot of cold, makes no difference.The 'bump' is reflected in the tachometer. If I take it out of drive, ie: park or neutral, it idles fine. No check engine light. Is this a warning of fun times to come with the mechanic? THANKS in advance!
I would suggest you hook a scanner to the car and observe ST/LT fuels trims at idle and 2500 rpm when the car has reached operating temperature. There are a number of items that could cause this and you have to start narrowing down the potentials instead of throwing parts or actions at it blindly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts