Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Idle Problems

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pawpaw 
#1 ·
When in Park, sometimes my car will idle a little funny. It normally idles around 900RPM after startup. Intermittently, it will drop down to around 500 and bounce between there and 600 for about 10 or 15 seconds, then once my engine fan kicks on it idles fine. Any ideas?

#2 ·
QUOTE (joelhiers @ Jun 23 2009, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734712
When in Park, sometimes my car will idle a little funny. It normally idles around 900RPM after startup. Intermittently, it will drop down to around 500 and bounce between there and 600 for about 10 or 15 seconds, then once my engine fan kicks on it idles fine. Any ideas?[/b]
Is the check engine light on? If so, go have the codes read. Do you have a flashing CEL during that time? Could be misfiring. Does the car act differently at highway speed?

#3 ·
QUOTE (Jeremiah @ Jun 24 2009, 12:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734746
QUOTE (joelhiers @ Jun 23 2009, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734712
When in Park, sometimes my car will idle a little funny. It normally idles around 900RPM after startup. Intermittently, it will drop down to around 500 and bounce between there and 600 for about 10 or 15 seconds, then once my engine fan kicks on it idles fine. Any ideas?[/b]
Is the check engine light on? If so, go have the codes read. Do you have a flashing CEL during that time? Could be misfiring. Does the car act differently at highway speed?
[/b][/quote]

No check engine light. And no flashing CEL. The car does not act differently at highway speeds. Although, I did notice after I replaced my VSS..everyonce in a while while traveling at consistent speeds(highway speeds) the car feels as if the transmission shifts or makes some kind of maneauver..but not nothing too annoying. does not downshift or upshift irregularly.

#4 ·
Sounds like the IAC is acting out.

#6 ·
Yup Idle Air Control=IAC & yes it can cause idle problems when it acts out!!!!

#7 ·
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 25 2009, 09:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735251
a vacuum leak could cause a stall if it were big enough. and IAC, yes idle air control

i've found a few vacuum leaks on the front and rear vent/pcv hoses on these year model cars. the rubber elbows get soft from oil condensate or whatever, and they "blow"[/b]
The Elbow on my PCV valve seems plastic and is very hard. I attempted removing the PCV valve from the elbow but felt as if something were going to break. I've been wanting to replace my PCV valve even though I checked it and it is working correctly. Do I need to buy a new elbow along with a new PCV valve?
Also checked the hoses and there seems to be no leaks there at all.

#9 ·
Be sure to check the vapor recovery vacuum hose from the intake manafold fitting, all the way to the charcoal canister. for loose fit, dryrot, cracks, splits, ect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.