Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some weirdness here. I have a 93' 3.8l that has been idling rough ever since i gave the engine a bath [maybe a the last 2 weeks] sometimes it runs great, sometimes the idle is so rough that it feels like it is going to die. Also, when applying minimal gas while driving it misses sometimes.

Today I tried to start it and no dice; no noise from the pump, but a solid click from the CCRM and the relay bolted on the left inside fender towards the front of the car.

Checked the car for codes and got a 543; something about the PCM is not detecting voltage.

I tested pin 5 on the CCRM for voltage while turning the key to run; no voltage.

I then jumped pin 5 to the battery while someone else turned the car over and... vrrooom it starts right up. Tested pin 5 again and got 12 volts.

Shut the car off, put the key to run, and the fuel pump primed like nothing.... started up fine.

Shut it off again, turned the key to run, no prime and no voltage but the car started and pin 5 got voltage again.

Does this sound like the CCRM is fried? Would it cause a rough idle? Maybe the PCM is cooked?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes it sounds like the relay in the CCRM is bad. You can connect an external one if you want. Cheap fix if you are capable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An update...

I started the car up just a few mins ago after reseting the pcm and checked it for codes...

got the all clear for the engine off scan, then started it up and the code reader was flashing all of the lcd indicators--

hit the start button and the idle kicked up a little and became irradic, with most of the relays under the hood clicking and then the tester powered off.

I tried it again and it did the same thing...

weird stuff!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You can force the fuel pump on with the key in run and the engine off. Just ground the fuel pump pin on the data link connector. This connector is located on the passenger side firewall by the PCM. This will prove out the relay and wiring to it. Not anything post CCRM.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts