Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every once and a while I'll go to start the car and it dies instantly, then when I restart it I have to hold down the gas a little to keep it running, while doing this it idles roughly but after 30 sec or so it'll smooth out and stay running on it's own. I took it off today and yeah it's all black in there, I then decided to compare it to the one on my Ranger which as it says in my signature, only has 45,000 miles. It too was all back inside and that one has never given me problems. So I'm thinking maybe the ICV on the taurs must be failing . any other way to check what the problem could be. also the one on my Ranger says that you are NOT supposed to clean them, if it's acting up, replace it.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
With it off, try cleaning it with throttle body spray. If it works, fine, if not, replace. Theyre kinda pricey, about $50+.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Try cleaning the throttle body and butterfly valve first, see if that helps before you risk damaging the iac valve with cleaning it. Also, when was the last time you replaced the spark plugs and air filter?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
within the last year for filter 2 years ago for plugs

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have this same problem with my 2000 SEL. I just replaced the IAC last week and it didn't change a thing. Then I put in a new PCV valve and hose which also didn't do anything. So far what we've found today is an intake manifold leak causing a vacuum leak. One way to test this is with the car running, use a propane can and direct it around the intake and see if the idle picks up.

It looks like it's leaking more out of the lower intake manifold gaskets than the upper but I decided to change all of them. Gonna start the car tomorrow morning and see if the problem persists. It only happens when the car is cold and goes away once it's been driven for a while but it's real annoying when first starting the car when the engine is stone cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts