Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put together an ideal tool set to work on my 1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon. What would you include?

For examples:

What possible sizes would I need for wrenches and sockets?
Screw drivers....Philips, Flat, Torx?

I hate to go out and just buy any "Mechanic Tool Set" but rather put together one of tools I will actually use.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Probably the most common found hex sizes under the hood are;
10mm
13mm
15mm
Suspension will have a bit bigger assortment;
15mm
17mm
18mm
21mm

I just recently had to memorize the oil dran plug is 17mm on my sister's '98 wagon. I like to do the small maintanance for her and I am over 100 miles away, so I have to carry whatever tools I might need. So this is a good topic for me.

A small screwdriver, preferably with a magnet on the end, is always good to have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for all your replies. No more guessing but definitely I will keep in my toolbox the recommended sizes!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Having a good metric socket set in 1/4" drive 3/8" drive and for suspension stuff 1/2" drive and a set of good quality combination wrenches is a must. These are tools you are going to use a lot and you don't want them to fail or be so crappy that you curse them every time you use them, buy the best quality you can afford on these basics you won't be sorry.

I have a Craftsman Roll Away consisting of 3 stacked boxes full of tools plus other strung around the garage, an engine hoist, engine stand, 2 large hydraulic jacks ect. I still don't think it is ideal. :D

Fortunately for me my Wife doesn't mind if I buy tools I need because it saves us money when the cars need repaired.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
don't forget a roll of duct tape, a vice grip plyers, and BFH....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hate to go out and just buy any "Mechanic Tool Set" but rather put together one of tools I will actually use.

Thanks for your input!
The package discount offered by the tool kits is so great compared individual tools that is is foolish not to start with one of the kits. Most of the Craftsman kits between $100 and $200 will give you a good start. Things that they usually lack IMO are universal joints and maybe torx bits. Most sets in this price range offer only either 6 point or 12 point combination wrenches. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. +1 on the Vise Grips etc. I was on the road a lot with only a Vise Grips, Channel Lock pliers, 4-Way screwdriver, diagonal cutters, crescent wrench, roll of wire and duct tape. S

·
Registered
56 Posts
What he said^. Try to think abt what U'd need if U were stranded on the road some place and then accumulate some things to keep in the car. Then buy nice plastic (no rust) tool box to keep the stuff in. Some things I carry are: bulbs, fuses and elec. wire; duct/electrical tape; various fluids and empty gal. jug. Many opinions on this one abt what tools are handy, but Vise Grips, sockets, screwdrivers and Channelocks are abt the minimum. For occasional use, Harbor Frt. has decent sale prices and they L/T guarantee their hand tools.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts