Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 03 SES, it has the stock rear drums on it. Is there a swap to do rear discs? I know some of the wagons have rear disc's, can I swap the parts over to my 03?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Do a search for rear disk conversion. Plenty of people, including myself, have done it. The job requires the rear disk brakes from a Gen3 sedan, wagon rear disks aren't compatible with sedans.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'll go ahead and make the plug for Brad. :D

SHOSource sells rust-free conversion components for the swap, pretty hard find when you consider the age of the parts you are looking for and the condition of most junk yards.

Rear Disc Converstion

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I have two sets of rear disc brakes and some new pads. You would need new rotors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I know on my fox body mustang I had to redo the Brake Booster and master cylinder when I did the 5 lug swap and converted it to disc on all 4 corners. Do the bulls need the BB/MC upgraded aswell?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im going to post this here for when I do the swap, that way I dont have to read through a **** load of pages to find the info.

You need everything from a rear disc setup with ABS from a GenIII Taurus to convert to disc brakes rear for a GenIV.

Any 96-99

The rear suspension is cake to work on.

Essentially, just remove the sway bar endlinks, remove the pinch bolt, and the two bolts that hold the control arms to the knuckle, plus the strut rod that locates the knuckle, castor wise (it'll be a black metal rod that comes from near the side skirts). Pull the old knuckle off, replace it with the new knuckle (I would definitely change the hub/bearing assembly while you have it off the car, otherwise, you'll end up needing to do a LOT of work all over again), install the pinch bolt, locating strut rod, control arms, endlinks, then put the new brakes on, with a NEW rubber hose, banjo bolt, and e-brake cable.

Actually, why the hell am I typing this all out. Check the Wiki. There's a great write-up in there that will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know.

OK, I checked. Seems bias plugs and external proportioning valves do not apply to Gen IV ABS cars like mine. Looks like the reproportioning options only apply to Gen 3 and earlier cars.

Brake upgrades, for all generations, using stock Ford parts! - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Whats needed as far as rear brake lines and hooking up the ebrake?
You don't need new knuckles for a G4. You do need G3 e-brake cables, ABS sensors (unless you mod the mounting holes) and brake lines just need rerouting. Get some junk yard calipers for the core charge at NAPA, otherwise the charge is like $80 bucks. CHECK THE TOPIC FINDER!!! It's all there!

·
Registered
701 Posts
He's going to need Gen3 disk brake hoses as well. The drum hoses are completely different from the disk's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don't need new knuckles for a G4. You do need G3 e-brake cables, ABS sensors (unless you mod the mounting holes) and brake lines just need rerouting. Get some junk yard calipers for the core charge at NAPA, otherwise the charge is like $80 bucks. CHECK THE TOPIC FINDER!!! It's all there!

I thought I read that I needed the knuckles for the gen4?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought I read that I needed the knuckles for the gen4?
In the sticky it says that he removed the entire knuckle from the donor car so he could dissasemble at a later date, but the knuckles arent used.

Re-read it, i was confused as well but the knuckles wont be required. The parts needed are:
-gen 3 disc specific e brake cables
-caliper mounting brakets
-calipers (specific to vented and solid rotors)
-rotors
-backing plates
-disc specific hubs
-disc specific brake hoses

And you can modify youre current ABS sensor to mount onto the new components instead of buying it. I read that some people had problems using new sensors, cause the wiring was different or the new sensor gives off a different signal than the old ones.

Ill be doing the swap as well as soon as the parts arrive, ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was able to elongate the holes in my stock sensors to match up with the bolt hole on the backing plates. I have yet to get an ABS light and my anti locks work on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was able to elongate the holes in my stock sensors to match up with the bolt hole on the backing plates. I have yet to get an ABS light and my anti locks work on all 4 wheels.
Nice, good to here that worked out im gonna be goin the same route. Thats the way it was done in the sticky too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts