Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 SE 4 door with the Duratec engine. I have a rear sway bar (Don't know about the front). I had a broken spring in the rear and I replaced both rear springs. The car rides so hard over bumps I need to do something. This is my second gen 3 Taurus and the other car (a 97) also had a hard ride.

My friend has a 2004 SEL and his rides much nicer. I know the struts are a direct replacement from the gen 4 to the gen 3, but when I checked out the Quick Struts on Rockauto, the two struts had the same model number. If this is right, why does the 2004 ride so much nicer than my 99?

Would I benefit from going to the wrecker and getting a set of 4 strut assemblies off a 2004 or 2005? What else is different between the 99 and 2004 in the suspension that would make the 2004 ride so much softer?

Many Thanks for the help and info,
Ian

·
Registered
799 Posts
The factory spring rates on the Gen 4 are softer than the Gen 3. Quickstrut part numbers are probably the same because most aftermarket manufacturers don't care about spring rates, strut valving, etc. It physically fits both models, so it's more cost effective for them to simply make one part number.

If you look at your friend's 04's rear coils, you should see a tag with a three letter spring code on it. Write down that code, and contact either your Ford dealer or fastpartsnetwork.com and order your softer springs.

Or, you may be able to find someone here with a Gen 4 that is looking to get rid of their soft ride/saggy butt syndrome rear springs and work out a trade.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, they change the G4s to have a softer ride. I would not recommend using used suspension components from a G4 since they have spring issues (especially in the salt belt).

The Monroe QuickStruts have the same part number because they designed them to fit either side (stock struts have the sway bar mount offset to a specific side while the Monroes have it in the center, but it doesn't cause any issues). The Monroe QuickStruts have the firmness in the middle between G3 and G4 so you might not be interested in them. I've heard Gabriel struts have the same firmness as stock G4s.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I have a complete Gen IV suspension (struts, springs, mounts) with 50K on them. I want to get rid of them, and installation of these would certainly soften your ride.

Let me know if you're interested. They're just sitting in my shed.

JR

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
I also have a set with just under 50K.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't have a set with under 50k. Just trying to break the cycle. :p

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I have a set with 124K miles. You can have a reallllly soft ride and rust free parts :makeadeal:

OK...Seriously, you probably don't want them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts