Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to the gas station n filled up n when i tried to start it it turned over fine but then the engine started shaking like crazy n then it stalled... then it wouldn't start over again... i replaced the belt today and it worked fine frum this mornin till now... i dunno wut is wrong... it turns over but it doesn't seem like the spark plugs are getting a signal or sumthing... anyone havce a clue wut could be wrong? the fuel pump kicks on so it can't be that... i dunno.... any suggestions?
*edit* oil is at the right level too so i don't think it seized... :angry:

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Here's what you need to do:

Use a fuel pressure gauge to make sure that the fuel rail has proper pressure. It should be around 40 psi with the key on, but the engine off.

pull out one of the spark plugs. reconnect the plug wir to the plug AND HOLD ON TO THE PLUG WITH THE RUBBER BOOT. hold the outer electrode to the engine block. Have a friend try to start the car. The plug should fire with the engine cranking over. You should also be able to smell gasoline coming from the open plug hole in the head. BE SURE TO GROUND THE ELECTRODE AWAY FROM THE OPEN PLUG HOLE.

There are only two factors that matter for starting the car: fuel and spark. If you have both, the car will start. Keeping it running is another problem.

disclaimer: This is just a suggestion. I am in no way responsible for any harm or damage that may come by you trying this. It is safe if done correctly, but there is an inherent danger to having spark near airborne gasoline.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll try that in the mornin... i would of tried it tonight but it was too hot to do anything withand right now its sitting in superstore parking lot.. i wouldn't hold u responsible for anything... i'de be the one doin it not u so w/e.. if it does spark does anyone know what the problem could be? and if it doesn't spark would it just be the plugs or could there be sumthing else wrong with it?

(thanks for ur help)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
there is a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box for the Coil pack. make sure that the fuse is good. According to my diagram, it is a 20A fuse.

the coil pack may be bad, or a plug wire might be shot.

It did turn over, right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it would turn over fine but it won't start... its sumthing weird because before it stalled the car shook alot... the enigine started shaking alot... so i don't know wut that could be.. now it doesn't do anything except turn over.. could it be at all related to my a/c problem? because i just bought the stock belt to go over the a/c compressor n it still makes an annoying noise.. but i figured out it wuz a disk thing on the pulley for the compressor.. i dunno.. i got a few problems to deal with on my car <_< we'll just stick to the not starting for now tho.. haha

J

·
0 Posts
How old are your plugs and wires? If it was shaking, maybe it was simply because of a misfire? :unsure: For as cheap as they are, it may not be a bad idea to just replace the plugs and wires - and it could solve your problem. I've heard of wires going bad and causing such problems. The only part that doesn't make sense is when you say it's dying. Because unless the wires or plugs are so bad they aren't sparking at all, it should run rough if nothing else. Like I said, my only suggestion would be to change the plugs and wires. :) Hope this helps, and best of luck to you. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wuz being sarcastic about it dieing... but all the electrical seems to be fine on start up but it won't fire up, it'll just turn over. i think it might just be the injectors or the plugs n wires... i don't really know right now.. i got some people coming to look at it 2morrow morning and hopefully we can figure out wuts going on... a few trips to part source or the ford dealership (which seems to be cheaper for parts) n hopefully its all good...

as for how old the plugs n everything are.. i don't have any idea.. i haven't replaced them and i bought the car in March.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by mikeylikesit@Jul 24 2004, 01:58 AM
as for how old the plugs n everything are.. i don't have any idea.. i haven't replaced them and i bought the car in March.
ok, I'd just go ahead and replace the plugs and wires then. There's a good chance it could solve your problem... Also, they shouldn't be very expensive and it's a maintenance item that should be done periodically anyways. As far as plugs go, either Motorcraft OEM plugs or Autolite platinums are generally recommended in Tauruses. :)

Good luck to you and, of course, post if you have anymore questions. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright... thanks for all ur help... i'm hoping it'll be an easy fix.. if i have anymore questions it'll be tomorrow... but yea again thanks for all ur help.. i appreciate it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts