Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
lately when I start my car up, sit at a light or turn the car off the engines rpms raise up pretty high. I don't know how high since I have no tach, but I'd guess close to 2k. It doesn't always do this, but it does it enough to where its affecting my gas mileage. I was told it was my idle air control valve, but after reading a few posts on here I'm begining to think not. I wanna make sure that I know what part to get. The idle air control valve aint cheap. Its a 93 Taurus GL

·
Super Moderator
8,764 Posts
When the idle goes high, pop the hood and pull the electrical connector off the IAC. If idle goes down, engine runs rough or stalls, it MIGHT be the IAC or possibly something else. If the idle stays high, you have a vac leak. If idle does drop way down and engine runs rough or stalls when IAC is unplugged, b
y far the most likely cause is the IAC itself. Either try cleaning or replace it. Slight possibility you have a TPS problem. Some EEC IV Fords from that era would raise the idle speed if the closed throttle TPS voltage was too high.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tried cleaning it, sprayed carb cleaner inside. got it as dry as I could. Don't think a few small droplets would affect much. I turned the radio off and listened to the engine. Now the rpms are going up,down, up, down....think I'm looking at needing a new IAC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts