Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car......it's bad blood, I swear.

You all recall last Thanksgiving, it blew up in the middle of Texas. Well, I figured, surely, the demons have been exorcised, safe to road trip it again. Right?

Wrong!

This last weekend, I drove it to Branson, MO to scout locations for the Star-Orion Performance National Starion-Conquest Meet, and it did fabulous! Until we were on the way home.

We had two cars in the entourage, my Grand Marquis, and my friend Max's 2004 Chevrolet Malibu MAXX. We drove south out of Branson to scope some of the twisties, and film footage of it. Yes, we rigged both cars, and yes, we ran both cars good and hard through the mountains, and yes, I have video of it.

Anyway, we get to Eureka Springs, and take 23 south to 412, and turn west to head back toward Kansas. We're flying along, and some state contractor is mowing the ditch with one of those big huge mower decks that's powered by a big-ass tractor. Just as Max and I passed by, he hit the side of the pavement with his blades, and it blasted rocks, concrete, asphalt, and just general hard nasty **** at both of our cars. Max's MAXX actually got dented up, and the rear wheel chipped, and the tail lamp cracked, and my car has millions of of tiny chips in the paint on the hood, the front panel, the front bumper, the entire right side, a cracked right front marker light, and a cracked windshield.

Now, those of you that have seen and ridden in my car will attest, you will not find a nicer '97. It's seriously that nice. One door ding in the whole car, on the left front fender, beyond that, it's as fresh as the day it rolled off the line. I've taken extraordinary care of this car, and luckily, so did the old woman who owned before I did.

So, I took it in for estimates yesterday, and the spread is from 2900-3300 in damage. My care of the car notwithstanding, I bet they total it out. The thing you guys will enjoy is that this is going to be a real nasty battle.

I called the owner of the mowing service. The first suggestion he had tipped me off good.

"Yeah, just have your insurance fix it, and I'll pay your deductible."

"Sorry, Hoss, that idea doesn't work for me."

Y'all get ready, this is going to be a bumpy one.

Zorin

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
yea zorin i've learned in my short life to let the insurance companies fight it out.
when i was fighting Sears last summer after months of going back and forth i called Amica
said i had damage sent an adjuster to the house two days later. one week later check in hand
for exactly what the contractor wanted minus my deductible, month later i got my check
for the decuctible in the mail after Sears paid up big time. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Seems a lot of the guys running the mowers don't have any care for cars. I've had them pepper the side of my car with little stones - nothing more than a few small scratches ... but still ... paint the mower the other way.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Zorinizer 3000 coming online...target acquired...commencing Zorinization.

This is gonna be good.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I think that if it had done that much damage, I would have pulled over right there, and made the guy on the tractor get his supervisor out there asap.

That is just ridiculous.

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
:lurk:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couple of quick updates.

Called my insurance company, even though I do not have the necessary coverages, I asked for their advice. They said, with a somewhat evil happiness, that if the guy doesn't pay up, that they will be happy to help squeeze him for it.

Next thing, Max tried to call the insurance company, and was told that the owner of the company has to file the claim.

I think I might have to get to know the Arkansas State Insurance Commission.

Zorin

EDIT: Forgot. Figured I'd throw in the smoking gun.

Close up

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've had work and snow.

Bear with me, we need wash jobs to show the damage good. I have a few preliminaries of my car, but they suck.

Zorin

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update II.

Just sent copies of the estimates, certified, and return receipt.

Who wants to bet he don't sign? If he doesn't sign, I'll have him by the nad-sack.

Zorin

·
Registered
340 Posts
Keep us updated there Zorin.

Have a good one

Bob

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Way to clip the pavement there. Looks like mowing that low wasn't even necessary.
Have fun man :).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These things can only go so fast, you know?

I did send copies of the estimates, and a nice letter to the fellow, certified, with return receipt.

He accepted the envelope, but I called him yesterday, and didn't get a call back.

I was going to give him just a bit more time, but I have the plan all figured out. I've had nothing but time to figure out how I want to do this, which is bad. That means I have come up with a couple of different ways to ruin this guy's Egg McMuffin.

Zorin

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Keeps getting better and better.

Guess this means the Zorinizer 3000 is plugged in and charging.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Considering that the guy in front of me got it too, and he happened to be a buddy of mine, and the guy hasn't called him back even once, I suspect this will get nasty quick.

Add on top of that, his insurance agent's being cagey.

It's going to come down to this, I'm afraid.......

"We can do this the easy way, or we can do this the-paddles-in-the-back-of-the-ambulance way. What'll it be?"

Zorin

·
Premium Member
838 Posts

Zorin is like the bestest person in the world to handle crappy situations. Mainly because it's almost always funny as hell what ends up happening!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts