Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is a little long, but I wanted to be sure I didn't miss any facts.

Here's my deal, please let me know what you folks think.

I have a 99 Taurus which has spent the better part of the last two months just sitting. It's got brake issues and I don't feel like sitting in the snow to fix it (I live in western Michigan).

But that's not my issue today.

I had been starting it every few days and it got to the point where I would have to jump start it every time. I figured the battery was dead.

So last Saturday I took the battery to Auto Zone, they put it on the charger, then tested it, and said that it was still good.
I put the battery back in the car and it started. It had to crank over a little bit, but it started.

I started the car again on Monday and Wednesday with no issues, both times letting the car run about 15 minutes, and driving it once around the block.

Yesterday (Friday) I tried to start the car and I would not start. It would crank over, but it sounded like it wouldn't fire. I hooked up a set of jumper cable to the battery and the car started right up.

This afternoon (Saturday) the car started on it's own.

Is it possible that after 3 or 4 cold nights the battery no longer holds it's charge?
And, is it possible for the battery to be strong enough to crank over the engine, but not start it?
The battery is about 3 1/2 years old.

Please let me know what you think.
Thank you,
Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
i would say the batteryy is on way out and with the cold weather it does not have enough in it to get the car started.

Ian

·
Registered
81 Posts
If my 96 sits for a couple days and it gets really cold (like sub 20's) for several nights. The battery struggles. My battery was new in 06.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Battery. I had the same thing happen with my Passat this winter. simple change of the battery will do the trick

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Another vote for a failing battery.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Perhaps your charging routine isn't aggressive enough. Temperature could be a problem as well. You might want to disconnect the battery and keep it indoors to save it from the weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts