Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following my Haynes manual for head gasket replacement and I did a step out of order, that is, taking the pushrods and rocker arms off before setting the #1 cyl to TDC compression.

Since there's no pushrods or rockers to work the valves, a pressure gauge won't tell me anything. So how can I fix this?

The engine has not been turned at all since they came out. Would it be possible to put the rods back in and torque the rockerarms back down to spec and then go find TDC compression? If not, how the heck do I do it?

Thanks guys :(

'99 SE 3l 12v V6 Vulcan

·
Registered
671 Posts
Following my Haynes manual for head gasket replacement and I did a step out of order, that is, taking the pushrods and rocker arms off before setting the #1 cyl to TDC compression.

Since there's no pushrods or rockers to work the valves, a pressure gauge won't tell me anything. So how can I fix this?

The engine has not been turned at all since they came out. Would it be possible to put the rods back in and torque the rockerarms back down to spec and then go find TDC compression? If not, how the heck do I do it?

Thanks guys :(

'99 SE 3l 12v V6 Vulcan
Get a plastic straw or something from the dollar store for 100/$1, and stick it through the spark plug hole. Turn the engine by hand with a breaker bar on the flywheel that's not a flywheel, or ratchet on the crank pulley, until you feel the piston go up and stop moving. It'll take some finesse. As for finding #1 TDC on the compression stroke... I'm not sure about that. Maybe watch the lifters, if you can see them? (Might have to take LIM off).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So when the timing marks align Cyl 1 is at TDC compression?
Not necessarily. It could also be 180 degrees out on the cam(top of exhaust stroke). It's harder to tell without a distributor. Maybe you could use the straw idea to see where the lifters are. If both valves are closed you are at top dead center for that cylinder.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you have the lower intake off, watch the cam/lifters as you rotate the crank. The lifters will be more or less on the flats of the cam lobes when on TDC compression.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not necessarily. It could also be 180 degrees out on the cam(top of exhaust stroke). It's harder to tell without a distributor. Maybe you could use the straw idea to see where the lifters are. If both valves are closed you are at top dead center for that cylinder.
He already has the rockers and pushrods out, so the valves won't be opening.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Right, but if you want to know if you are at #1 TDC, you need to know where the lifters for that cylinder are. You could just put the pushrods for #1 back in place and watch as someone else rotates the engine. If they're both all the way down and the timing mark is at 0, you are at TDC for that cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Yeah, but to test pressure, if you have the rockers and lifters out, then doesn't matter as long is its TDC on any stroke. Valves will not open either or, so its like compression stroke each time.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Yeah, but to test pressure, if you have the rockers and lifters out, then doesn't matter as long is its TDC on any stroke. Valves will not open either or, so its like compression stroke each time.
Good point, but six months later?

Really, I did the same thing on my '95 3.8 head gasket job and it didn't make a difference. 20,000 miles later there have been no valve problems associated with doing the pushrods and rockers out of sequence..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts