Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving last night and my gas gauge wasnt apperently working. my car died on me and i found out i ran out of gas after trying to turn it over 3 times. did i **** up my engine, and what else did my stupidity cause?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
No, your engine is fine, but your battery may need a recharge
The only thing detrimental to our cars that comes with running the car dry can be the fuel pump overheating and dying (this probably isn't an issue considering how cold it is in most parts of the country). If you fill it up and she runs fine and you don't notice any extra whine coming from the fuel pump, your car will be just fine

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank god. well thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by CincySES@Feb 17 2004, 09:42 PM
nah, just put some gas in her and you're back in business...people run out of gas all the time......

edit for spelling
They do?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by CincySES@Feb 17 2004, 09:42 PM
nah, just put some gas in her and you're back in business...people run out of gas all the time......

edit for spelling
What year is your bull?

You may have to relieve the fuel system pressure by resetting the inertia switch in your trunk.

At least thats how it is in my gen 4.

-DC

·
Registered
887 Posts
Umm, mine is a 2001, but it's not my car that ran out of gas, I was just responding to this post, I have no Idea if we're even talking about a Gen4...

(Sorry if you weren't trying to reply to me, I just thought because you pasted my reply......oh heck, you know what I mean
)

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I have a gas guage that sticks at just below 1/4 tank. You think you're getting some awsome gas milage on that last 1/4 tank till the car craps out

I noticed it took more then just one small portable tank to get the gas in it again. You may have a trouble light on now though. I think mine did that. Just need to clear your code if you do. No harm done. I could only see a problem with running out of gas if you wer doing like a 110 or something when you ran out... Then your car would suddeny be running very very lean and you could mess things up I guess.

I just make it a point to fill up once I'm below 1/4 tank now. The only problem with that is I like to keep it below 1/4 tank when I race... now I won't have any idea how much is really left in the tank

Maybe we should get together and have a tank-yanking party... get those fuel level sensors replaced.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
If you do notice any problems change the fuel filter any sediment that was floating around the bottom may have got pulled in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts