Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Ford Taurus 3.0l v6 ohv. I'm replacing my water pump. I made a rookie mistake and forgot to take a picture of which bolts come from where. Can anyone help me out with their placement and the torque specs? I know there are 2 that go through the water jet.

Also, one if the smaller bolts at the top was completely rusted through and it snapped when I was trying to take it out. It snapped almost flush with the timing cover. Will I be fine with that bolt the way it is as long as I use the gasket and rtv? Or do I need to try to extract it? And if I do, how do I go about safely doing that?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
This may help if you can make out the bolts. I use the setup pictured to keep track of the bolts. I would try to extract the bolt. I never use torque specs and just snug then up pretty tight. Someone may have the torque spec. Bolts with arrows pointing to them must have sealant since they past through the water jacket.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much. Any idea on how to safely remove the bolt? I was told you could drill it out but that you have to be careful. And I don't see how I could get a drill straight in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it it's the smaller bolt at the top right next to where the joist comes in from the heater hose assembly. It broke almost flush with the timing chain cover.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Ok I thought you were replacing the TC. Well the way to get it out is to remove the aluminum timing cover and use vice grips. As long as it isn't ones on either side of the inlet to the heads I would try to see if it doesn't leak using RTV on both sides of the gasket. 50/50 chance it won't leak, Removing the TC is a major job. It is a small bolt and driling it out will be hard. You need a stubby bit and a right angle drill and easyout. A left hand stubby drill bit may work it out if you spray the bolt with penetrating oil for a few days The left hand drill works in reverse on a drill and is like an easyout as the drill catches the bolt..
$_35.JPG

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Get small brass block brush in cleaning aisle at your favorite home center or walmart,
brush all the bolts before you reinstall them, get all the crud and corrosion off them,
use Q tips to clean the bolt holes and some brake cleaner on the Q Tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts