Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted about a week ago the problem i encounter with my car, the AC compressor breaking down. but i never got the question answered i had asked.

is it possible to get a shorter serpentine belt and bypass the broken AC Compressor or will it harm the car more?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Old post, but on the Duratec I am not sure how you'd work this. On the Vulcan, there is a bypass pulley you can install in lieu of a compressor. Nothing for the DOHC. I don't think anyone has ever tried installing a shorter belt on a DOHC. But seeing in your other post that you have replaced the AC already...guess you won't be testing that out :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try it but every routing combination i tried was a failure. Everytime the belt (i used my old snapped one before buying one) would be making contact with other parts in the engine. But yeah, you're right, I see no need to try it out anymore :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a 93' Olds Cutlass a few years ago with a bad compressor and did what you're suggesting. I measured for a new belt bypassing the compressor. After installing it I had no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts