Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you wonderful mechanics on this website may have read my previous posts. I have an update on a problem with my 2002 Taurus 24v Duratec. I took it over to the ford dealer and they read the codes: 0305 and 0316. They estimated repair costs around $3600. I get a flashing CEL at stop lights if I idle for more than 5 seconds. However, I discovered that when I reset the computer or un-plug the battery for a few minutes and then plug it back in the problem disappears for weeks or sometimes months at a time. Any ideas of what this could be? Is it as serious as the dealer is making it out to be? Also, it doesn't help that most mechanic garages around here (not dealerships) refuse to work on this particular engine. Any ideas why?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already tried that. The problem disappeared for a brief amount of time and came back. Also replaced the spark plug and repaired a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some of you wonderful mechanics on this website may have read my previous posts. I have an update on a problem with my 2002 Taurus 24v Duratec. I took it over to the ford dealer and they read the codes: 0305 and 0316. They estimated repair costs around $3600. I get a flashing CEL at stop lights if I idle for more than 5 seconds. However, I discovered that when I reset the computer or un-plug the battery for a few minutes and then plug it back in the problem disappears for weeks or sometimes months at a time. Any ideas of what this could be? Is it as serious as the dealer is making it out to be? Also, it doesn't help that most mechanic garages around here (not dealerships) refuse to work on this particular engine. Any ideas why?
[/b]
Hello.....I would try changing plug for Autolite and coil pack....that surely cost less than $3600 !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
3600 is madness!!! do you have wires or COP?

my 316 i believe is cyl 3 misfire i have the same code, just replaced front 3 plugs and i have to replace the pcv vacuum line thats colapsed and do the back 3 plugs and wires this weekend and hopefully that should fix it.

what did they say needed to be done?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The 316 code is a special one. But the 305 specifies that it is the #5 cyclinder that is the problem. The $3600 is probably for a new engine?

P0316 - Misfire Occurred in the First 1000 Engine Revolutions

P0316 code will be set in addition to any type B misfire DTC which occurs in the first 1000 revolution test interval, following engine start.

Damaged CKP sensor
Ignition system
Fuel Injectors
Running out of fuel
Fuel Quality
Base Engine
Damaged PCM

Freeze Frame Data and the P03XX DTC will also be stored, indicating in which cylinder the misfire occurred.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts