Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...heres my dilemma....i'll be getting my license in a few months...and i know i want to get a taurus, and theres two i'm looking @...a 2001 ses...no duratec, just wat comes standard, and a 99 SE with the duratec, keypad entry, auto climate control...the only thing is it has a salvage title.. :( it only has 56k miles though, and it's in really good condition.....so idk wat to do....ur opinions are greatly appreciated.. :banana:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Hey...welcome to the club.

You have to give more information on the conditions and prices of the two cars. What caused the 99' to get the salvage title? Does that cause any long term problems for you as the owner of a salvaged car? How much work does the 99' need before it's in drivable condition?

Also, what are the specs on the 01'? You said no 'tec, but how many miles, cost???

JR

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 01 is going to have about 80k wen they will sell it, and it's white, interitor is good, but they've had a lot of body work done to it....new left mirror, new rear bumper, and they had to get the left side doors sanded and painted and it will probably be $3,000.....the 99 is black, and it is fixed, becuz the guy buys cars that have salvage titles and fixes them...so it doesn't need any work, all he needed to replace was the left front corner panel, becuz he still needs to put a pin strip on it, it's also $3,000.....hopefully that helps

·
Registered
712 Posts
I personally would never buy a car that has a salvage title.

You didn't make any mention of prices. But, if you were to even consider the salvage vehicle, I'd start by giving it a value of 50% of an identical appearing car that has a clear title. Then, if you start seeing evidence of exceptional quality repair work, you may want to increase your estimate of the car's worth.

I have a friend that is an insurance claims adjuster. He makes some money on the side by buying used vehicles at auction, making a few repairs (usually body work), and selling for a profit. His rule#1 is to just skip right over the vehicles with a salvage title.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Why was the vehicle scrapped in the first place? Accident? Flood?

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
What are the options on them. Which one of them is maxed out to the gills and which one of them butt is @$$ naked? Also run a CarFax on them as well.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 99' was in an accident.... and it has....
-24v duratec
-power everything
-keypad entry
-automatic climate control
-am/fm cassette
-5 passenger seating
-black exterior/tan interior
-cloth seats
-alloys

The 01' has....
-vulcan
-power everything
-CD
-6 passenger seating
-white exterior/gray interior
-alloys

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would be really afraid to buy anything with a salvage title or anything that you know has been in an accident before, because you don't know how well the repairs were done, if there was any structural damage to the car, if the unibody is screwed up, if the frame is bent, if the subframe or engine cradle are screwed up or not aligned correctly, etc.

I would have to get an incredible deal to buy a salvage titled car...no offense...

JR

·
Registered
712 Posts
How many miles are on the '99? Any details on the accident? What do you know about the guy that fixed it? Does he have reciepts, or a list of repairs? It may be worth paying another body shop to put it on the rack and check his work. At least have a good 4 wheel alignment check done on the car. If everything looks good with the alignment, give it a good visual inspection. Check the underbody, trunk, engine bay closely for bends/kinks in the panels, welds, etc. Check body panels for fit (even spaces in between, etc.), waves, and use a magnet to look for heavy amounts of filler. Depending on whether I knew the details of the accident, what I knew about the guy that fixed it, and how it looked under visual inspection, you can decide whether it would be worth it to have it inspected on a rack.

I actually know, or have known, people that bought salvage vehicles to fix up and sell. It was always high priority to make the car look like it was worth more than it is. I'm not saying that this isn't what every used car seller is trying to do. I'm just saying that it's much easier to end up with a "polished turd" when buying cars that were salvaged at one time, and you should be that much more careful.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx ecard for the advice....the 99 has 56k miles....and the guy does it for a living....it's his business....but next time i go check it out i will do wat u said, thanx :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Between the two you are mentioning I am not sure I would buy either one. Although I am much older I have been where you are as far as trying to afford a car on a shoestring. At least that's how it sounds to me. If you want a Taurus I would go to a local Ford dealer, talk to some folks you trust there and see what they have. I just got my 03 with power everything, cd, vulcan power, etc for 10,995 with only 12k. Now I know that sounds like a lot of money and it is and my payments are going to be hard to make some months but it's a good car, no body work ever done and best of all it still has the new car warenty which could save you money in the long run. If that's still too much I know that same dealer had an 01 Sable for 6k. Still double what you are looking at but on the other hand it had never been wrecked and had been checked over by their service department. The main reason I didn't get it was I wanted to start with something with very low miles since I put a lot of miles on my cars. Just something to think about.

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Soon2BTaurusOwnr@Jun 21 2004, 10:59 AM
thanx ecard for the advice....the 99 has 56k miles....and the guy does it for a living....it's his business....but next time i go check it out i will do wat u said, thanx :D
I would get the 01. When I first purchased my car I had the same dilemma as you, I had the choice of a loaded 99 or not so loaded 00. I went with the 00 because it rode so much better than the 99. Not to mention I liked the body style of the 00 better.

Also, id stay away from the salvage titled 99.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx everyone for the input, it was greatly appreciated! :banana:

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I would go for the 01 instead. Yes, it'd be nice to have the Duratec, but the one thing you mentioned was that you're just getting your license so as a new driver, you're probably better off not having that much power, it'd stop you from getting in trouble. Also if you're in the 18-20 age range, you've got a 40% chance of getting into some kind of accident so it's wise not to spend too much on a first car, especially if it gets smashed up. Oh, you'll also make out much better on the insurance on the 01 vs the 99 in terms of what you get if it gets totaled, probably have to pay a little more, but probably not much in terms of premium.

My vote is get the Vulcan, learn how to drive, then trade up in a few years. I've managed to survive driving in Boston for 15+ years without ever causing an accident although I've been hit by careless/drunken drivers a few times.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For $3000 get you a good used Gen 1 or Gen 2 SHO, and before everyone starts about the maintenance costs, just think about 5 speed manual Yamaha V6 go to www.SHOCLUB.com and check the classifieds, that or talk to kirk and see what he has for sale, but a salvage title is for suckers, if you have a Salvage Title in Illinois, you can never get it licensed

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I would say do not get either of them. There could be underlying damage you do not even know about. There are plenty of good Tauri out there that do not have damage for $3,000. I didn't pay very much for my 98 Taurus at all and it's been a good car so far. Good luck!

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanx for the advice :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts