Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Ford Taurus SEL

recently put in four new scosche 35 watt speakers because mine were blown, they were pretty bottom shelf for what was available. When I installed them I found an additional hub for a 5th speaker in the back it is a bit larger maybe a 6x9. I was curious about a few things.

1) If I install an additional speaker back there will it interefere with the power consumption/the other speakers and my stereo system?

2) When I looked I didn't see any sound cords running to that particular speaker slot, would I have to run a whole new wire or could I just splice off of one of the existing sound wires running to the adjacent speakers?

3) how would a subwoofer interfere with the existing sound system?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe that is for a subwoofer. It should be a fit for a 5 1/4" speaker, with a depth of about 2.25 inches. I know others with Bulls closer in years to yours than mine is might have an exact answer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry, I forgot your other questions.

1 & 2.) If you install another speaker there, it will use the wattage from the amp / head unit. If you splice off one of the existing wires, it will just give you more left or right (depending on which one you've spliced from).

3.) It would add more bass, but if you don't have an output for it, you'll need to power it and run a crossover so that you only send lower frequencies to the sub. Adding a sub isn't hard, and you could do it with as low as 40 watts. For a 5 1/4" sub, I'd start with at least 100 watts. A sub requires a lot more wattage than tweeters or mid range speakers. If you're not sure how to run an amp separate from the factory output, use and adjust a crossover, etc I'd recommend a reputable electronics installer. I have a 3rd gen with the electronic climate control. No one makes a faceplate, so I ended up keeping my OEM headunit, but my installer swapped out the 4 speakers, added a sub, 2 amps, crossover, and best of all, bluetooth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts