Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: I'm in a pinch...I need to find a way to mount some sort or ladder rack on my Taurus...any ideas? I was thinking a glorified luggage rack and a modified trunk-mounted bike rack....maybe?....I dunno...I'd like to avoid welding if at all possible, but my ol' "Red Bull" is my work truck...and the only thing I can't do with it is haul extension ladders.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
A ladder rack? Hmmm...

How's about a roof rack (you can get one through the mail-order ads in any car magazine) and a cheapo aluminum spoiler from pepboys, the ones that are 3 foot tall? I'd screw an eyebolt into the front bumper so you can secure the front of the ladder to something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm....good idea with the Rice-er spoiler! lol...my friend calls em "trunk-mounted ironing boards"
I'm wondering about the roof rack...is it held on by something better than 3M tape?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm not sure how many racks are held on. Factory racks typically are built into the car's design, using roof channels, and a bracket/bolt system. Check out Thule's site to see what you can find about a system for a Taurus.

JR

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think they make roof racks that screw into the gutters above the windows don't they. You got me I have never had one but seems to me they do. There are also light bar holders that security guards use the screw in the same way. You maybe could get a couple of those without the lights, just the metal bar, that would be removable for weekend driving. You might also consider fabricating something that is held on with a strap that would go through the inside of the car, you would close the door on the straps while driving. That might be a way to secure something that won't mean drilling holes in your car. Just a couple of random thoughts.

Robert

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
A strap system wouldn't be strong enough for heavy extension ladders though. He'd definitely need something solid and metal to at least bugee them to. I would also think that it would have to be squarish, so that the ladders can't roll on the contour of the roof.

JR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I've got it...
A modified towing package....instead of one central reciever hitch, have one on each end of the bar...with a square tube framed rack that would "plug in" to these recievers in the back...
something in the front about the same, except you'd probably have to weld onto the frame just under the front bumper to mount the recievers.
It would consist of essentially 8 straight bars with a pin-lock constuction at the joints....
This way it could be quickly removed, broken down, and stoewed in the cab (for this, the bars conncting the front to the back would have to have a heavy-duty one-way hinge in the center that would allow them to fold in half for stowage.

Can anyone envision what this'd look like, and any reasons why it would/wouldn't work? :huh:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Hang it from the passenger side. Use a blanket or towel to protect the paint. In the rear hang from the trunk hinge using some plastic cloths line. In the front use the hood hinge or something else easy to get to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts