Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 97 Taurus SE last week for cheap that is in very good shape :banana: .
I need a "U" code 3.0 . I live in Ohio and will travle to get one in the tri state area for a good deal on one .
The one I have has two blown head gaskets :( .
Heck for the price of the gaskets and possible head work I can just put in another engine .
Is there a a place on this site where I can post want adds and parts ?
I own two 96 SHOs , one wrecked 97 SHO for a 98 wagon (will be SHOed this winter) , and now the 97 SE that will be my winter car .
I put a set of 16" SHO chrome wheels that are off of the 97 SHO on the SE and it looks sharp .

B.King 13

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd pull those heads and oil pan and check the overall condition of the engine you have first. A local machine shop could mag-check the heads for cracks and just shave 'em if they're ok.

An upper engine set (all gaskets, new valve seals, head bolts, etc.) should be less than $150. When one of my heads cracked, I got a nice replacement from the local Pick-n-Pull for $20, and had both shaved for $60.

I'd recon the numbers ($$) carefully if you're capable of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you tried DEER Creek in Ohio, or maybe even E-Bay?

G

·
Wow, two head gaskets?!? How is the coolant? I would look into the brown cooland recall for information on what proceedure to do to avoid this if you swap in another '97 engine.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't think that an engine swap would be necessary. Since you have the vulcan, with it's mini-sized (compared to the 'tec) heads, it shoudl be pretty easy to change the head gaskets. You could even get a new set of heads and get teh Bob to port and polish them for you (not sure what he charges) and put them on yourself, probably still coming in under the cost of either an engine replacement or having a shop do it. Ho wmany miles are on this engine?

JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts