Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the options are the hand held scan tool, or two different software packages. One software package is for Palm Pilots, and the other is for laptops.

I have no experience with any of this yet; so for those of you who have pulled your own codes, what have you used and liked? Or not liked about a particular tool?

Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Are you looking for something that you can simply call up any error codes, or would you like to be able to edit your computer's settings???

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I use the Creader ($30 from Harbor Freight Tools.) Works great when you need to figure out why the Service Engine Soon light is on. It doesn't pull stored codes, though (the ones that don't trigger a SES light.) For that, I still go to AutoZone. But it's nice to know instantly if my problem is serious or not. For example, my IMRC was stuck open, and it triggered the SES light right as I was about to leave for a business trip (1000 miles roundtrip.) Thirty seconds later, I pulled the code and I knew it was no big deal and I didn't have to fix anything. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 30 2004, 02:20 PM
Are you looking for something that you can simply call up any error codes, or would you like to be able to edit your computer's settings???

JR
I'm not looking to edit the PROM, yet..... :D

Being able to read both the generic codes (P0xxx) and the Ford Enhanced codes (P1xxx) are what I'm looking for right now. Still climbing the learning curve on this OBD-II stuff.

Being able to communicate with Body Control Modules, Chassis Modules and the Uxxxx codes for the network itself would be nice, if it doesn't cost the Earth.

I'm considering the package at www.obd-2.com right now, I'll just need a cheap laptop to run it on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts