Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week wasn't good

My daughter threw a rod in her 99 LX
The transaxle on my riding lawnmower seized up
My other daughter tore her rotator cuff playing softball
My Chocolate lab got the mange
and finally my PC blew the power supply and knocked out the hard drive.

I am working on getting everything taken care of but does anyone know of a website I can get a PC at a reasonable price?

I don't have to have state of the art equipment as we usually just use it to crusie the internet and play a few games.

All I really know that I need is a dual deck cd burner.

any advice?

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
All I can say is DELL. :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Ebay is your friend! B)

Just say NO to Dell. HP-Compaq :banana:

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
If you know exactly what you want in your new PC then you can go to sites that let you configure your own and then build it and ship it to you. You can make it as powerful or meager as you want. Some sites include:

www.northgate.com
www.monarchcomputers.com
www.accessmicro.com

Or.....

First check out the local flyers as you can get a pretty cheap PC (Hewlett Packard, Compaq, etc.) after rebates from Staples, CompUSA, BestBuy, Circuit City, etc.

I believe Best Buy carries E-machines which are very cheap PC's, haven't had a very good rating in past years, but they are stepping up and getting a lot better.

Good luck to ya and hope everything turns around for the good.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
E-Machines are a throw away computer. I wouldn't buy one for my main computer.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by mike@Jun 28 2004, 04:04 PM
If you know exactly what you want in your new PC then you can go to sites that let you configure your own and then build it and ship it to you. You can make it as powerful or meager as you want. Some sites include:

www.northgate.com
www.monarchcomputers.com
www.accessmicro.com
I can personally vouch for MonarchComputers, good company.

From the big manufactures tho, I'd say go with Dell just for the convenience factor.

P

·
0 Posts
go to ollies, buy a book for 10 bucks on building computers, do some research and build it yourself. cut out that middleman

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree about the iMac, maybe even an eMac. If you're not into Macs though, you should go to www.pricewatch.com and search around for the parts and make your own. You should be able to make a great system for under $800.

P

·
0 Posts
pricewatch is a horrible place to go. many of the vendors you find on pricewatch have prices that are much different when you actually go to their sites, incredibly unreasonable shipping, and (as i learned before i stopped using pricewatch) will sometimes not ship your parts. if you're going the building your own route, buy from newegg.com

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by Paul@Jun 28 2004, 05:03 PM
pricewatch is a horrible place to go. many of the vendors you find on pricewatch have prices that are much different when you actually go to their sites, incredibly unreasonable shipping, and (as i learned before i stopped using pricewatch) will sometimes not ship your parts. if you're going the building your own route, buy from newegg.com
I also highly recommend Newegg.com. Built my two computers using their site. Great customer service and awesomely fast shipping.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I haven't had any of those problems. I guess the whole point of Price Watch is shopping around. The great deals are there, if you're patient enough to look. Then again, I've purchased all of my more recent computer related items direct from Apple, so much for bargain prices there. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
www.resellerrating.com

Go on there, and check out any retailer before you buy.. this place is excellent for finding a good place to buy from..

Dell is so-so in my opinion.. Monarch computers is supposedly a great company.. check out ibuypower.com too...

if you check out dell, it holds a strong 2. some rating out of 10 -- look elswhere :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 28 2004, 06:16 PM
Dell is great. They have great products at very reasonable prices, and their support is STILL very good, especially when you compare it to HP/Compaq...

IF you're looking for a cheap barebones system that you can just throw a hdd and some ram, into, check out www.tigerdirect.com, as they have very nice barebones AMD and Intel based systems for pretty cheap...

Also check out:
www.techdeals.net
www.slickdeals.net
www.dealnews.com
www.bensbargains.net
www.techbargains.net
www.shop4tech.com

JR
I own a computer company and ive had a lot of people go to me while their Dell is on warranty...because they simply cannot understand the foreign tech support people, and alot of bad tech support/warranty experiences...

Dell can have cheap computers because they are the monopoly of computer companies..them and microsoft

*sigh*

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Paul@Jun 28 2004, 05:03 PM
Pricewatch has redone their site recently. Shipping is now calculated into the price of the item. I have yet to see a price on the site vary from the price on pricewatch in the past few months. It seems they finally got it right.

P

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Adam B.+Jun 28 2004, 07:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Adam B. @ Jun 28 2004, 07:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Paul@Jun 28 2004, 05:03 PM
Pricewatch has redone their site recently. Shipping is now calculated into the price of the item. I have yet to see a price on the site vary from the price on pricewatch in the past few months. It seems they finally got it right. [/b][/quote]
its about time...too bad they didnt do that when i quit using it 3 years ago =\

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anything made by Apple. Their systems have convinced many, including this former Windows/DOS-using hacker.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I bought a Dell at their outlet site.
3.4Ghz P4
1024MB memory
2 - 120GB HD
8X DVD burner
16X DVD ROM
ATI 9800 Pro w/ 128MB
WinXP Pro
Office XP Small Business
$1150 with free UPS shipping plus tax.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.as...s=28&l=en&s=dfb

Revisit often inventory changes freqently. I noticed the best deals are around April - May. I have purchased 4 systems for less than I can build the system and have legal software. I made the first 8 systems that I have owned from a 286 to PIII.

Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts