Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend an i, in his 94 achieva, v6, was testing his speed acceleration....blew by a cop(accidentaly) at 3 times the speed limit.....he gave us a really nice verbal warning..............from this point on, no speeding for me...............and i officially declare my love(non-sexual)
for cops...........hahaha.....my friend and i are so lucky..............

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
69mph over......mostly empty street.........2 lane......gotta love canadian cops...

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by Craddosk@Apr 11 2004, 08:55 PM
69mph over......mostly empty street.........2 lane......gotta love canadian cops...
That's ridiculus, and I'll feign being happy for you

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hate you. I got my first ticket last week- 35 in a 30. The police officer that got me was a total d*** too-- I asked him how to deal with the ticket, it being my first and all. He just snapped at me! "You shouldn't be asking all these questions son. You were speeding, now you need to deal with the consequences." Grrr... So now I have to find where the courthouse is in this small hick town because he wouldn't tell me.

I normally like police officers. I really dislike that one, however. I really really dislike him.

·
Registered
549 Posts
One of my friends got a $255 ticket last week for going 103 in a 55. Moron.

I

·
0 Posts
I got my first speeding ticket on December 24th. That's right...Christmas eve. I was going 86 in a 70. The cop must have had the Christmas spirit because he lowered my speed to 85 so I only had to pay $100 instead of $125. Of course, he could have always just waived the fact that I was speeding. That would have been the best present of all...And best of all...my parents never found out about it

Edit: I forgot what date Christmas Eve was

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
nice job.. what did he say??? what did you tell him you were diong..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by afi292@Apr 12 2004, 04:23 PM
nice job.. what did he say??? what did you tell him you were diong..
he was told the truth, that my friend and i were out on what we thought to be a fairly desolate, unpopulated road, to "safely" test the limits of the car......which was true....so yeah, we got a fun little warning.......and the threat that if he saw the car speeding again....no ez warning that time....(its hard to hide its the only blue 94 achieva in town.....)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Originally posted by Craddosk@Apr 12 2004, 04:34 PM
he was told the truth, that my friend and i were out on what we thought to be a fairly desolate, unpopulated road, to "safely" test the limits of the car......which was true.
You told a cop the truth!

I'm sure that was a pleasant surprise that he appreciated.

Another tip for when a officer walks up to car to talk to you on a dark night. Make him feel that you are not a threat to him, or your not going to try and drive away suddenly.

Pull safely off the road, far enough away from the flow of traffic so your vehicles are not in danger of being struck. Shut off your engine, turn on your inside dome light. Place both your hands on the steering wheel, passengers hands on the dashboard, see that he can clearly see them as he approaches the vehicle. Don't search for your paperwork unless the officer ask for it. Otherwise he/she might think you are reaching for a weapon, or hiding drugs.

Based on your actions, attitude, and answers, the officer will quickly decide if further investigation is necessary. You may be driving away in less than a minute without your driver's license even being checked, you may be issued a warning or a traffic ticket, or you may be removed from your car and cuffed (for the officers safety) while your vehicle is thoroughly searched.

Being stopped by the police does not have to be a bad thing. Unless you are doing something illegal or are have warrants.

I like when cops stop me!

I just show them my "Blue Card" hahaha!

Dennis W.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have a very high opinion of cops. there are times that I am literally nervous to go out on the roads wondering what crap they'll come up with this time. I don't do anything wrong, but I keep getting stopped for it anyway. sometimes because the cops don't even know what their own law is (amber brake lights ARE legal here, its right in the code!) I have in the past talked myself out of driving somewhere, just because I don't want to deal with it all. now that's freedom! riiiight.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Generation 2+Apr 12 2004, 06:26 PM-->QUOTE (Generation 2 @ Apr 12 2004, 06:26 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Craddosk
@Apr 12 2004, 04:34 PM
he was told the truth, that my friend and i were out on what we thought to be a fairly desolate, unpopulated road, to "safely" test the limits of the car......which was true.
You told a cop the truth!

I'm sure that was a pleasant surprise that he appreciated.

Another tip for when a officer walks up to car to talk to you on a dark night. Make him feel that you are not a threat to him, or your not going to try and drive away suddenly.

Pull safely off the road, far enough away from the flow of traffic so your vehicles are not in danger of being struck. Shut off your engine, turn on your inside dome light. Place both your hands on the steering wheel, passengers hands on the dashboard, see that he can clearly see them as he approaches the vehicle. Don't search for your paperwork unless the officer ask for it. Otherwise he/she might think you are reaching for a weapon, or hiding drugs.

Based on your actions, attitude, and answers, the officer will quickly decide if further investigation is necessary. You may be driving away in less than a minute without your driver's license even being checked, you may be issued a warning or a traffic ticket, or you may be removed from your car and cuffed (for the officers safety) while your vehicle is thoroughly searched.

Being stopped by the police does not have to be a bad thing. Unless you are doing something illegal or are have warrants.

I like when cops stop me!

I just show them my "Blue Card" hahaha!

Dennis W. [/b]
Gen 2 is a smart fella - Thats what I have always done when pulled over (all 2 times its happened!)

-DC

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Yeah, I did exactly what Gen2 said the two times I got tickets (I was crying the first time, too), and I still got the tickets. I still love cops, though; it takes some kinda courage to get out there and do that job, even if it's doing something "as simple as" pulling over speeders. (mild sarcasm implying it can't be that simple or safe)

·
Registered
933 Posts
one day on the way to work a cop came about this |---------------| close to being creamed by an 18 wheeler going 45 mph right next to him as he lecured me about using tape to put my county sticker in the windshield instead of using the "attached adhesive" (so what exactly are you supposed to do when you are away at college and don't have all the high tech tools from home that are needed to get the old sticker off anyway?) He yelled out as he almost became a hood ornement, because he was screwing with me over something so stupid. even though I'm very glad that something that dumb didn't cost someone his life that day, I was thinking to myself "that's what you get for pulling people over for this kind of crap" personally I think it should be illegal to pull someone over for anything that is not a danger to other motorists. like if a cop sees someone speeding at 15+ the limit, driving drunk, running stop signs and lights, or going the wrong way on a one way street, PULL THEM OVER BEFORE THEY KILL SOMEONE! but on the other hand, if they see someone with a tail light out, or the "worng color" amber light bulbs, a radar detector (oh the horror!), or an expired inspection/county sticker or plates, or no front plate. LEAVE THEM ALONE! or talk to them if you see them in a parking lot. you know how many cops and innocent people are killed every year because of traffic stops? people getting hit by someone drifting over to the side of the road, or the chain reaction accidents often caused by rubber neckers, or even the total moron who was driving in front of me one day in my gf's car (rain, and no ABS) we came around the corner, saw blue flashing lights, and what does he do? he slams on his brakes right in front of me, we lost traction and almost drifted off the road, right into the cop who had pulled a pickup for who knows what reason. traffic stops are very dangerous things, to the cop, to the person being pulled over, and to to general public. they should be used only as a last resort, and they should be illegal unless absolutely necessary. a civil rights person on dateline NBC said a few days ago "cops think of the traffic code as their best friend, they can pull over anyone they want to if they just follow them for a few blocks" <-- that kind of thinking and action makes our roads much more dangerous than they need to be. (rant over!)

and on the previous topic, I am always polite and like to make the cop feel safe, if they are going to let you off, that's the best way to make them feel like it, pull far off the road, if at night even keep going a bit farther and park under a street light if you can. no reason for them to suspect you did anything wrong other than forget to change that sticker.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Originally posted by mcgilles@Apr 12 2004, 10:32 PM
I'm afraid I don't have a very high opinion of cops. there are times that I am literally nervous to go out on the roads wondering what crap they'll come up with this time. I don't do anything wrong, but I keep getting stopped for it anyway. sometimes because the cops don't even know what their own law is (amber brake lights ARE legal here, its right in the code!) I have in the past talked myself out of driving somewhere, just because I don't want to deal with it all. now that's freedom! riiiight.
Mike,

I know, I know. Some years ago I spent a few days in Roanoke, VA visiting my girlfriend's relatives. All I can say is I could never live there. Your sweet ride attracts cops like a electronic bug zapper attracts flies. As you know, Neon lights are illegal anywhere on or in a motor vehicle in Virginia, unless they are covered and unlit while the vehicle is being operated on a public highway.

I don't know if amber brake lights are legal in VA or not. The vehicle codes may have been revised, but from what I seen published by The Virginia General Assembly reads something like this:

46.2-1014. Brake lights. Every motor vehicle, except an antique vehicle not originally equipped with a brake light, registered in the Commonwealth and operated on the highways in the Commonwealth shall be equipped with at least one brake light of a type approved by the Superintendent. Such brake lights shall automatically exhibit a RED or AMBER light plainly visible in clear weather from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle when the brake is applied.

Now I also seen this on one of the VA web sites regarding vehicle inspections.

19VAC30-70-150. Rear lamps.INSPECT FOR AND REJECT IF:

5. Lens on rear lamps, or lens area in combination rear lamps (tail lamps) are not red or contain a dot of another color.

7. Filament in all rear (tail) lamps does not burn when headlamp switch is turned on to any position, or if lamps do not provide a red light visible to the rear.

9. The vehicle has unapproved lens or plastic covers, any other materials which are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of rear lamps, license plate lamps and rear lamp combinations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

All drivers should know their local laws, and keep a hardcopy printout of these laws in their vehicles. You SHOULD NOT shove these in the face of any cop that stops you, rather you should use them to politely inform a officer that they are mistaken if that is the case. A little tact and diplomacy goes a long way here. The Internet offers a excellent medium for finding your state's laws. All states now have websites, and almost all of them offer searchable databases for you to look up laws and codes that effect you.

Contact your local Sheriffs Dept for specific questions. And don't hate all cops because of a few hicks.

Good luck,
Dennis Wolfe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts