Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a Lincoln LS for my second car. My Taurus is on her last leg, and I just want some advice on owners or formers owners of the LS. Thoughts? Opinions? Repair costs? Too much car? Thanks:)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The Lincoln LS is the same thing as a Jaguar X-Type, which is not that different drivetrain wise from a Taurus, but the suspension and chassis is a whole different animal.

The Lincoln LS is probably more expensive to repair, but is known to be fairly reliable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know Jaguars take a pretty penny to fix LOL, but i'm not to sure about the LS. I just feel that it might be too much, going from a bull to a Lincold (even though they are made by Ford). I would just like more information on it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I wouldn't get the Lincoln LS, they're know for being problem cars, just read reviews on them. The Lincoln MKZ should be much more reliable, but comes with a price tag. The Town Cars are okay, but are dated (no matter what the year) and are nothing more than a dressed up Crown Vic, look for the 32 valve v8 with the Town Car. The older Town Cars have issues with their air ride suspension when they age, and are very expensive to buy struts for.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
^^^^ +1 on the LS. Nothing but trouble, especially the V8 version. Tons of electrical gremlins. VERY expensive to repair also.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^^^^ +1 on the LS. Nothing but trouble, especially the V8 version. Tons of electrical gremlins. VERY expensive to repair also.
Way too expensive to maintain.
I'd buy a used fleet service Crown Vic first. (cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension. Jake knows...)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Way too expensive to maintain.
I'd buy a used fleet service Crown Vic first. (cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension. Jake knows...)
Go for the '04-newer interceptors, the older ones had issues with the plastic intakes, if I remember correctly. The only bad thing about the '04+ interceptor is Ford when cheap on the drive shafts, and had to lower the speed limiter to 120mph I belive, or risk driveline failure, due to the cheaper metal used. Look for state auctions, not city ones, unless it was a part of the unmarked fleet, as city police are harder on cars (curb and median hopping) than state troopers are (more hwy miles).

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Lincoln LS is the same thing as a Jaguar X-Type, which is not that different drivetrain wise from a Taurus, but the suspension and chassis is a whole different animal.

The Lincoln LS is probably more expensive to repair, but is known to be fairly reliable.
It's based on the S-Type

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks for all the feedback guys! I was looking into the LS, mostly because its a nice car with a LOT of features, but your right. They do have a lot of problems, and look like they're expensive to fix. But since we're on the topic of fixes, do any of you know about the 2002 Explorer model year problems? I heard they're are pieces of crap! lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I was looking into the Crown Vic's, but i'm not too sure about them. I mean, coming from the Police Squad, or even Town Dept, they take a lot of abuse, and you never know what problems are hiding under the hood, or anywhere else!

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Yes, they may be "abused" more than grandpas CV is, but they are generally VERY well maintained. When problems occur, they are fixed and fixed right, as emergency services cant have their cars breaking down randomly.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
And I was looking into the Crown Vic's, but i'm not too sure about them. I mean, coming from the Police Squad, or even Town Dept, they take a lot of abuse, and you never know what problems are hiding under the hood, or anywhere else!
Cab drivers seem to keep them going a long time, many beyond 300k! The 4'th gen Taurus is also a very popular taxi of choice here, there's nearly as many in the fleet as the Crown Vics (I know a cab driver, he also drives a Taurus). I asked him about the rear struts, that's why I bought the KYB strut plus for my car, as he carries people around all the time in his.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.