Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We drove 100 miles and when i stopped, we smelled that oh-oh it's antifreeze smell.

I had just flushed the system in May, new cap on reserve bottle and new antifreeze.

Open the hood and the reserve bottle is empty and dirty...drive to auto zobe for a new reserve bottle and head down the road to find a cool spot to change it.

Suddenly the car starts slowing and the rpms are the same...transfluid is HOT...OH NO...

I pull to the shoulder and the reserve bottle looks like old faithful spewing BROWN mud everywhere.

Once it cools I change the reserve bottle and add 2 gallons of premix..

It won't start...after several tries the reserve bottle is empty and when I open it there is a big release of pressure--though I only turned it over 2-3 times..

MAYBE I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT----:angry:

Driving from auto zone, I left the cap off the reserve bottle--did this create a problem?

When I removed the original reserve bottle, it was filled with muck like dirt...Did something else fail> THe system was flushed, so where might this muck have come from?

NOW the 64 thousand dollar question--

Do I rebuild or replace?

The car was getting nearly 30 mpg on the freeway and 25 in the city.

We really like the car and refuse to give it up...:wub:

THANKS

Tim and Mary

JoCo NC

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Could just be your water pump. If you like the car then fix it. It's most likely not worse than a head gasket. Is there coolant in the oil?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could just be your water pump. If you like the car then fix it. It's most likely not worse than a head gasket. Is there coolant in the oil?
No coolant in the oil. When the tow truck raised the front, some coolant poured out, leading me to think a freeze plug blew?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
What did it do when you tried to start it?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Obviously, see if you can locate a freeze plug problem. This would not cause a misfire, though. You may want to pull the spark plugs and see if any have coolant on them. That would cause a misfire and indicate a head gasket issue with that cylinder.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check your transmission fluid. You may have had the radiator fail, and coolant and ATF mix, causing "mud". I have the same issue right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:angry:The shop called today. Seems there is a hole in the block where a piston blew out...

Gotta do an R&R on the motor...:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts