Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cash for Clunkers program has passed, and I was pumped!! Thought I may be able to qualify for a $4,500 cash incentive to junk my '92 wagon (worth about $500 tops) and buy a new car. BUT! My EPA combined mileage is 19 mpg and does not qualify...by one (1) mpg....Yeah, the cutoff is 18 mpg or lower. Looks like I will have to keep this dinosaur on the road a little longer ........

·
Registered
205 Posts
How do they detiremine the cars economy? If ppl asked me id say 16in-town, 26highway, but they cant just go by what ppl say. I could lie and tell them 10in-town, 15highway lol Iv been wondering how they figure this out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (imafordboi69 @ Jun 20 2009, 05:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733838
How do they detiremine the cars economy? If ppl asked me id say 16in-town, 26highway, but they cant just go by what ppl say. I could lie and tell them 10in-town, 15highway lol Iv been wondering how they figure this out.[/b]
Go to the EPA government website. They list every single car/engine/transmission combination of every car sold over the last 20 years. My wagon was listed at 16 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and combined was listed at 19 mpg. Must be 18 mpg less AND you have to have had the car registered and insured for at least a year. This prevents people from just buying up old cars and trading them in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
QUOTE (LD_rider @ Jun 20 2009, 07:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733854
QUOTE (imafordboi69 @ Jun 20 2009, 05:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733838
How do they detiremine the cars economy? If ppl asked me id say 16in-town, 26highway, but they cant just go by what ppl say. I could lie and tell them 10in-town, 15highway lol Iv been wondering how they figure this out.[/b]
Go to the EPA government website. They list every single car/engine/transmission combination of every car sold over the last 20 years. My wagon was listed at 16 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and combined was listed at 19 mpg. Must be 18 mpg less AND you have to have had the car registered and insured for at least a year. This prevents people from just buying up old cars and trading them in.
[/b][/quote]

DAMN mine gets 20mpg combined. I guess i wont be getting that new SHO anytime soon....

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 20 2009, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733900
What's your point Mike, mine is 16 years old.

Does that mean I should do that deal as well??[/b]
Absolutely Rudy. I will even cosign for you if you need it.

That's the kind of guy I am.

I have to have a 5 year old car or newer because of my job.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I still don't think I'd be able to afford a new vehicle with $4,500 towards one. I'd still have a ~$10k bill (on a very cheap new car) plus school bills. Makes me feel two jobs just isn't enough. :( A less than 4 yr. old pre-owned, well then that is in my window of affordability.

Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a 2010 SHO.

Guess I'll have to wait until 2015 for the 2010. :wacko:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 20 2009, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733903
Nice but I'd still like to know whats wrong with the op's car?[/b]
That I can answer...got the state inspection report.

Rear brake lines
Two front tires
Two rear shocks
Exhaust leak up near flexpipe someplace
Rust on driver's side floorboard

and a water pump

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (LD_rider @ Jun 21 2009, 12:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733938
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 20 2009, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733903
Nice but I'd still like to know whats wrong with the op's car?[/b]
That I can answer...got the state inspection report.

Rear brake lines
Two front tires
Two rear shocks
Exhaust leak up near flexpipe someplace
Rust on driver's side floorboard

and a water pump

~snip~

Mine has 167,000 miles on it.
[/b][/quote]

Man, you just got it broken in.. spend a cpl dollars and live the high life.. :ford:

p.s. I have 3 that are over 130,000 miles on them and they are still all going strong.. heck, one has 206,232 miles on it..

·
Registered
110 Posts
The article in our newspaper said $4500 only for cars 1984 and newer. So my junky 1966 Ford Pick-up just went from a value of $4500 to $0 again--Bummer!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm sure that many people don't NEED a new car, but wouldn't it be awesome to have something brand spanky new sitting in your driveway to brag about?

Besides, I think it would be nice to help out the auto makers. Im sure this group couldn't care less that GM is going ****-up, but I think it would suck to stop seeing new fords out on the road.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
With all the college debt I have, I'm going to be driving mine until I'm pushing it. And then I'll be pushing it for a while ... unless the government wants to give me $20k.

·
Registered
205 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 21 2009, 07:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734095
That's not the point of the bill fordboi. It's meant to get CLUNKERS off the street, not just some car that has been ill-maintained. That's why I asked the op what was so awfully wrong with his car that he felt the need to trade in. In my opinion, and yes I know that don't mean squat to most here, that's partly what is wrong with this country. It easier in most peoples minds to just get rid of something than to take care of and maintain it.[/b]
ACTUALLY a major part of the bill is to get people to buy new cars. Obama is trying to get car companies to be able to stand on their own feet again. If all they wanted was to get junk heaps off the road, they would not have set a limit on the age of cars that can be submitted.

"The simple fact is that we need to get Americans into car showrooms, and this is the bill that will do it," Rep. Candice S. Miller (R-Mich.), a co-sponsor of the legislation, said in a statement.

More of this article can be read at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9061804060.html

"A program intended to stimulate new car sales should target people in the market for a car, but the program does not," asserted Edmunds.com CEO Jeremy Anwyl. "The only people who qualify are those willing to take no more than $4,500 for their current car and immediately buy a new one — quite a narrow profile."

I fall into that narrow profile (as my car needs a new transmission) and even if it had the new transmission would not be worth $4500. After viewing the list of things the posters car needs, it seems that this would be a good deal for him too.

Also this bill is to get more fuel efficient cars onto the road, and i think we could use a smaller fuel bill.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
It's meant to get CLUNKERS off the street[/b]
I wouldn't say that... a clapped-out Chevette running pig-rich with all the emissions controls missing is just fine in the government's eyes, but a properly maintained, well-running LTD needs to be scrapped. It's an excuse to get cars that the people who control the government don't like off the roads.

<remainder withheld>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's not the point of the bill fordboi. It's meant to get CLUNKERS off the street, not just some car that has been ill-maintained.[/b]
Wrong. Try reading the bill before you claim to know what the purpose is, that way you won't embarrass yourself... The purpose of the bill is to stimulate the economy. It has NOTHING to do with gettting clunkers off the road. I repeat, nothing. The condition of the car you are turning in is not a factor in qualifying for the credit. It can be a perfect 10 or barely running...Makes no difference (but you can't tow it in)..

Is your car newer than 1984? Does it get 18mp or less? Have you owned it at least a year? BINGO! You qualify. If it is a perfectly maintained 2006 Porsche Carrera S 4 guess what? You qualify! Hardly a "ill-maintained clunker"...

Again, the major point of the bill is to help keep the economy going, not to get "clunkers" off the road.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I wounder if it counts to have the car roll onto the dealer lot?
Just pick a dealer at the bottom of a hill. or just get 6 friends to push it onto the lot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts