Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car has this cold start misfire issue. I've replaced all the plugs, wires, and coil pack. Still there.

So my symptoms...
  • Misfire when the engine is cold (having sat all night)
  • Smoke in the exhaust when it's started cold (having sat all night)
  • Coolant loss with no apparent leak.

The car overheated bad at one point in the past when the coolant reservoir detonated. The misfire is constant on cyl. 1 and does not come back after the engine has been warmed up.

What I'm assuming is happening is the head gasket is blown around cyl. 1. Coolant is leaking in overnight causing a misfire when I attempt to start it in the morning. The burning coolant causes the smoke and my coolant level slowly goes down.

Sound about right?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds like you might be right, the symptoms point that way. You could pull the spark plugs and if #1 looks clean compaired to the others, thats another clue. You could also have a compression check on all cylinders. The Vulcan isn't known for blown head gaskets UNLESS it was overheated and that has happened in your case. Good Luck with your diagnosis.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: It's been mended.

My diagnosis was correct. At this time I didn't feel like tearing down the engine or paying someone to do it for me so I purchased a product called Blue Devil Engine and Coolant sealer.

You flush your cooling system, refill with water and top it off with the sealer. Idle it for 50 minutes, take it for a test drive and your problem is supposed to be fixed.

Well my problem was a slow leak so I didn't know if it would be fixed until the next day after sitting all night. Good news, the misfire is completely gone! The car starts up silky smooth, even after sitting for two days.

Yay for cheap fixes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts