_____
$350

is that high????

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by mikehawk@May 5 2004, 09:16 AM
It's okay for crush bent pipes, but it would be a pretty good deal for mandrel bent pipes.
They have bending machines for the pipes, all their work would be custom...

so is that crush bent pipes or mandrel bent pipes? whats the difference?

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by DeltarMN@May 5 2004, 10:06 AM
Well I paid 400 for my 2.5" cat back that splits to the rear y-pipe and then to 2 flow40s. So Your getting a good price imho.
are those mufflers good ones? magnaflow? they arent stainless steel they are aluminized?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Many people on here have the flowmaster 40 series. I do not have them on my car, but I plan to along with a catback. They have a nice deep, powerful sounding tone. They dont sound like a fart can on a rice mobile.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Crush bent is where the inside corners are crushed to make the bend. You end up with either jagged corners that hurt the flow or the bends in the pipes are smaller diameter than the rest of the pipe.

Mandrel bending is bent in a fashion that the inside corners are smooth and the pipe size is not compromised so gases flow better around the bend.

In this picture, the upper pipe is Mandrel bent and the lower is crush bent. I just searched the web for this so nevermind that it's for a Merkur. :p

Pipes Picture

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by NateNBeckie@May 5 2004, 10:23 AM
Crush bent is where the inside corners are crushed to make the bend. You end up with either jagged corners that hurt the flow or the bends in the pipes are smaller diameter than the rest of the pipe.

Mandrel bending is bent in a fashion that the inside corners are smooth and the pipe size is not compromised so gases flow better around the bend.

In this picture, the upper pipe is Mandrel bent and the lower is crush bent. I just searched the web for this so nevermind that it's for a Merkur. :p

Pipes Picture
i guess im going to have to give them a call..

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i called them

crush bent

magna flow 5 x8 or 4 x9 oval muffler
model number 11234 or 12214

Anyone w/ experience from these? Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
From what I gather, folks in here like the Flowmaster best. You can get them for less than 40 bucks on Ebay. I don't know that I would spend that much money to have the system replaced. You can probably get the same effect by replacing the stock muffler and resonator unless you really want duals. Just my 2 cents, which I am sure you don't need.

Unfortunatley I ended up with a late 99 Duratec so I have the single stock exhaust. I am going to settle for a single flowmaster with the stock resonator for now, and upgrade to duals with a better flowing resonator later. I need to buy a house before I can really dump money into my bull.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@May 5 2004, 10:33 AM
Ok i called them

crush bent

magna flow 5 x8 or 4 x9 oval muffler
model number 11234 or 12214

Anyone w/ experience from these? Thanks
For custom work, that price is right on par with the quote I got.

-Damon

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Hey,

If you want to know how dual 40 series delta flow Flowmasters on a Duratec sounds go here. SuperFord.Org Videos Page. They are very small files. The flyby will tell you what it sounds like on the outside, and the interior video is what it's like under pretty normal acceleration (under 5K on the tach.)

it's been discussed time and time again that they have the best sound. Plus it's stainless steel so its going to last you a long time. I would just spring for the extra money and get the Flowmasters.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@May 5 2004, 11:55 AM
If you want to know how dual 40 series delta flow Flowmasters on a Duratec sounds go here. SuperFord.Org Videos Page.
Your link keeps redirecting me to the index page. I want to hear it because I am putting a flowmaster on mine this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
To be honest though, if you're going 2.5" diameter pipes, on a relatively stock engine (and no, the intake silencer mod with a cone filter doesn't count as even a moderate mod IMHO), crush bent pipes vs. mandrel pipes make very little difference. The more important thing is picking the right muffler as that is a bigger factor in how easier the engine can breath. Flows are good, people love the sound (sorry guys, I personally don't), but something straight-through in design would be better.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
350 is a good price. Thats what i got my system done for. Crush bent and all. *gags* me wants mandrel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts