Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has a 3.0 v6. It's the overhead valve one. It had a bad miss about 5 minutes after starting it. I don't know if miss is the right word. It sounds like it is stumbling. It runs fine going down the road until I come to a stop. It will stall out sometimes. It always sounds terrible when it is stopped and idling. I cleaned the air idle valve as best as I could. Now it won't idle at all. I just took off the air idle valve and am letting it soak in some carb cleaner. I really didn't think the bad idle was the air idle valve. I was just throwing thing against the wall to see what stuck. I though it was more likely the throttle position sensor. Any ideas out there.

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
Pull codes even if the CEL isnt on. No scan tool needed for OBD1...... just a jumper wire and count the CEL flashes. Instructions all over the web on how do do this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did pull the codes ECT Engine coolant Sensor Out of range. I replaced it. IAT Sensor I replaced it Transmission temp Sensor. I haven't replaced it yet. The other codes it threw were 536 Park brake short. is what I found for it. 521 Power Steering pressure switch is what I found for it. I also tuned it up. New cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
My 93 had an issue with stumbling and it turned out to be the silicon hose to the EGR flow sensor was cracked. It is a 3/8 inch hose located behind the intake. A friends 1990 had a bad IAC valve and it would not idle at all unless you held the gas pedal down a little.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out the silicon hose to the EGR flow sensor and it's ok. Did I damage the Idle air control valve trying to clean it?

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
If you ran the codes without the engine being fully warmed up, you will always get a code for ECT and ACT/IAT and TFT out of range low.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'll warm it up and run the codes again. I replaced the iac. It runs again, but still has the stumble after 5 minutes of running. When I first start it it runs at a high idle then the idle lowers and the engine begins to stumble or miss. Rough idle. It dies when I come to a stop while driving. It fires right back up. IS the TFT transmission oil temperature sensor.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You need to look or listen for a vacuum leak that may be causing your stumble. I agree on the Motorcraft brand for newer Taurus but I had good luck with aftermarket IAC valves on my 1991 and 93.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the one I got was from a wrecking yard. I'm pretty poor. I don't know what's wrong with it. I can't aford to buy new parts that it doesn't need. I'm going to the wrecking yard tomorrow to get a throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Yeah the one I got was from a wrecking yard. I'm pretty poor. I don't know what's wrong with it. I can't aford to buy new parts that it doesn't need. I'm going to the wrecking yard tomorrow to get a throttle position sensor.

Usually the position sensor won't cause that sort of issue. On my 91 it caused a dead spot in the acceleration that was repeatable. You can check it with a ohm meter for smooth change.

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
^^^^ +1

Use a DMM in DC Volts hooked to the black and green TPS wires. Turn key to RUN. closed throttle voltage should be under 1.0 V, and should increase linearly (no spikes / dropouts) to 4.5 to 4.8 V at WOT. If it passes this test, TPS is not the issue.

As noted above, I would suspect a vac leak.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is something I should have added to begin with. About a year ago my car broke down driving down the road. It just died. My aunt put it in the shop. They put a re-manufactured computer in it from China. My aunt drove it about a mile and it died again. The shop put another computer from China in it and it's had the stumble and dying at stops ever since. I got the car from her about a month ago. Does anyone think that maybe China sent a computer for a different model Taurus or maybe it's a bad computer? If so where is the computer located, so I can go to a wrecking yard and get one.

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
Could be. Find a used PCM locally or check Ebay. 3 letter/number code (like A9L, A9P, LA3, 8UA etc) on the sticker on a PCM you find must match the code on the current PCM, assuming the correct PCM was installed by the shop.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts