Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the model e3.54 for my 3.0 DOHC with 90,000. They have a patent, so that's kinda' cool. I like that you don't have to gap them.

It's kind of a pain to get the coil pack off in the back. You need to take of a vacum sensor (whatever it is) on the intake so you can get your arm around to the back. But it wasn't to bad, and I only dropped the socket once. :lol2: My old plugs were Motorcraft Platinums. They were worn at the ground strap, and at the electrode. Some were better than others. The firewall side of the car seemed to run a little hotter by the color.

I closed the hood, and the car started real easy. The car pulls well throught the midrange. I wonder if it's just the fact that my old plugs were worn. But I filled up, and hit the trip set. I'll let you know if I get any better mileage. I do a lot of city driving, so I get about 275 miles per tank.

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (leadfootdriver @ Jul 22 2009, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741294
I got the model e3.54 for my 3.0 DOHC with 90,000. They have a patent, so that's kinda' cool. I like that you don't have to gap them.

It's kind of a pain to get the coil pack off in the back. You need to take of a vacum sensor (whatever it is) on the intake so you can get your arm around to the back. But it wasn't to bad, and I only dropped the socket once. :lol2: My old plugs were Motorcraft Platinums. They were worn at the ground strap, and at the electrode. Some were better than others. The firewall side of the car seemed to run a little hotter by the color.

I closed the hood, and the car started real easy. The car pulls well throught the midrange. I wonder if it's just the fact that my old plugs were worn. But I filled up, and hit the trip set. I'll let you know if I get any better mileage. I do a lot of city driving, so I get about 275 miles per tank.[/b]
i hate to burst your bubble , but there has never been a spark plug better that an original equipment extended life (platinum or iridium) spark plug for any engine. Those were designed for you engine and have multiple years of testing. They also last 60-100000 miles. All these gimmick plugs do, from pulstar ,g-3 , and the original splitfire is to burn hotter and possibly detonate your motor. In an older motor such as yours they probably will not harm it because the tolerances are not like a new motor , but the quality control has been spotty so expect a premature plug failure. That can be just as risky as an over heated plug. Imagine driving a long distance on 5 cylinders.
We were using split fires on old boat motors in the early 80's . Sure they started well ,but we found out that they would burn holes in pistons. We saw the same problem many times in import cars brought to my friends shop. Complete burn that many of these plugs promote means hotter combustion temperatures . Not always a good thing. If you want to take a chance with them fine ,but for a questionable gain in mileage I would not risk it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should throw out my MSD too. I supposed nobody but Ford can come up with a good idea. Maybe Ford should try to get a patent for the Front Subrame bushings.

I'll let you know if my motor blows up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (leadfootdriver @ Jul 22 2009, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741304
Maybe I should throw out my MSD too. I supposed nobody but Ford can come up with a good idea. Maybe Ford should try to get a patent for the Front Subrame bushings.

I'll let you know if my motor blows up.[/b]

Lol plugs won't blow up your motor. As long as you have the Right Plugs for your car it will run fine. There won't be any performance improvements unless your old plugs were completely shot. But really, all these "Fancy PLugs" that say they burn more fuel and give you more power.. don't. The only upgrade you're gonna get is that the tip is double platinum, meaning you can put the plug in any spark plug hole.

Ford Stopped using Double platinum tipped plugs to save money, so they put a 4 on one side, and 4 on the other, but they were made for that side. The platinum helps resist against wear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (BrassDrummer @ Jul 23 2009, 02:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741345
QUOTE (leadfootdriver @ Jul 22 2009, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741304

Lol plugs won't blow up your motor. As long as you have the Right Plugs for your car it will run fine. There won't be any performance improvements unless your old plugs were completely shot. But really, all these "Fancy PLugs" that say they burn more fuel and give you more power.. don't. The only upgrade you're gonna get is that the tip is double platinum, meaning you can put the plug in any spark plug hole.

Ford Stopped using Double platinum tipped plugs to save money, so they put a 4 on one side, and 4 on the other, but they were made for that side. The platinum helps resist against wear.
[/b][/quote]

Wrong again ! Defective Plugs will blow up a motor. I Have seen a few in the shop with scored cylinder walls from broken electrodes , Heads ruined from plugs blowing out of the holes ,electronics ruined from cracked electrodes, and motors detonated from too hot a plug that was the recommended aftermarket plug . It burned holes in the pistons. No , it does not happen very often ,but is e-3 going to warranty your engine when they fail. Look up pulstar plugs and the failure rate. I still am very wary about small time manufacturers who have products made overseas (or in the U.S.) and have us test run their products. Same with h.i.d. headlights but with less consequences.
My toyota van came with denso dual platinum. At 100000+ i changed them . The new stock plugs were $12.66 each and more at the stealer. I still put them in. Why? Because I know how many millions of miles these plugs have run successfully on that motor . I could have used $2 bosch platinum, But I know that they would burn up in 20000 miles. Maybe your ford motor is not picky on plugs . Maybe e-3 are the cats meow . I am no expert ,but I know what I am putting in my bull when it needs spark plugs. I will let you be the crash test dummy. Thanks for testing them for me!!!! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've read about those fancy "Pulse" plugs.....anybody heard of them?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
these replys are makin me get mad u do (gain from adding good and more of a performance spark plug u just got to have performance wires and plugs its common sense!)

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (double trouble @ Jul 23 2009, 07:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741365
QUOTE (BrassDrummer @ Jul 23 2009, 02:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741345

[/b][/quote]

Wrong again ! Defective Plugs will blow up a motor. I Have seen a few in the shop with scored cylinder walls from broken electrodes [/b][/quote] Could have been from old plugs or someone put the wrong thread depth in, wrong heat range, that doesn't signify any part of your statementQUOTE
Heads ruined from plugs blowing out of the holes[/b]
Thats not from the Plugs itself, thats from either way too high of compression, or from aluminum heads getting too hot because... and here we are again, people putting the wrong heat range in the Plug hole, not the actual plug itself QUOTE
electronics ruined from cracked electrodes, and motors detonated from too hot a plug that was the recommended aftermarket plug[/b]
Engines can detonate from tons of things. Carbon, Valve wear, sharp edges, THE WRONG HEAT RANGE ON A A PLUG. Seems like all of your arguments come back to the possibility of having the wrong heat range.QUOTE
It burned holes in the pistons. No , it does not happen very often ,but is e-3 going to warranty your engine when they fail. Look up pulstar plugs and the failure rate. I still am very wary about small time manufacturers who have products made overseas (or in the U.S.) and have us test run their products. Same with h.i.d. headlights but with less consequences.
My toyota van came with denso dual platinum. At 100000+ i changed them . The new stock plugs were $12.66 each and more at the stealer. I still put them in. Why? Because I know how many millions of miles these plugs have run successfully on that motor . I could have used $2 bosch platinum, But I know that they would burn up in 20000 miles. Maybe your ford motor is not picky on plugs . Maybe e-3 are the cats meow . I am no expert ,but I know what I am putting in my bull when it needs spark plugs. I will let you be the crash test dummy. Thanks for testing them for me!!!! I appreciate it.[/b]

I don't know why you wouldn't use OEM equipment if you're not running a high performance application. They put in your car whats the best for it. And no, even if you think you're putting in the exact same plugs, you're not. All plugs that you get in stores are double platinum coated, on each side of the tip, so you can put them in either side of the engine. Stock plugs are only coated on one side, so they have to go in the right side or they will wear out very fast. Ford did this to save money in the manufacturing process..

Sure its probably only a .05 savings, but multiply that by the billions of cars they've produced since then. Thats 50,000,000 dollars. Makes you wonder why Ford didn't go down doesn't it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Honestly the best thing you can do to gain gas mileage is run premium. Regular fuel burns much faster than premium which is what causes pinging in some motors. If you run premium you get a much more even and complete burn. I have always run either Bosch or NGK and have had no problems with either. I have Bosch Platinum IR Fusions in my Element and for the time being i have Motorcraft Platinum's in my SHO but im most likely going to change them soon to NGK's

My gas mileage on my element went up from getting between 20-21mpg to 23-24mpg when i started running premium. Not only that i can feel that the throttle is more responsive. BTW i am going to school for my bachelors in automotive so that's where i am getting my information from. So spend a few extra bucks and see what running premium does to your car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Back to the e-3 question. Can anybody find a reason to put them in besides hope and good commercials?

·
Registered
64 Posts
ok... here are the list of plugs and almost all have claims on gas and performance

rapid fire
split fire
hot U
platinum
Iodide
copper
pulse

now designs

one electrode
duel
tri
quod
and now halo

all this and yet no real testing but ther own... like slick 50 and the rest... no real world testing
personally i use copper in my 97 .... and mid grade gas ... and if lucky i find a station that doesnt have all the additives to it then i wil tellyou i see 450 a tank.. other wise no difference..

·
Registered
190 Posts
QUOTE (Cliff @ Jul 23 2009, 09:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741380
I've read about those fancy "Pulse" plugs.....anybody heard of them?[/b]
I looked into them a while back, but ran into a guy whose company had tried them on several cars, with disastrous results. Their quality control sucks! If you put in 6 plugs, 2 will probably break in half during installation, and another 2 will drop their ground electrode into the combustion chamber, doing major damage to the rings/cylinders/valves.

I saw the pictures of the broken and failed Pulstars, and it was scary.

I run E3s and I'm quite happy with them. I switched from Bosch Platinum+4, and there was a big improvement.

The TV show Horsepower TV did a test of E3 vs. Bosch and the results were quite impressive. The video is on E3's web site.

Incidentally, Platinum and Iridium are for longevity, not performance. Copper conducts electricity much better.

If you want performance in your ignition system, switch to Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 wires. The stock wires averaged 8000 ohms or so, depending on length, and the Taylor's averaged 75 ohms. I felt a huge difference immediately when I installed them.

I also have an Accel coil pack, but the quality control is low. I'd probably go with MSD if I had it to do again.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
More than one electrode isn't going to help much. Electricity takes the path of least resistance so it'll always jump to the prong that's closest to the center.

Just get a set of Motorcraft or Autolite double plats and be done with it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 30 2009, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743193
More than one electrode isn't going to help much. Electricity takes the path of least resistance so it'll always jump to the prong that's closest to the center.

Just get a set of Motorcraft or Autolite double plats and be done with it.[/b]
good advice!!!!!!

Think of it this way. If ford thought they could squeeze another mile per gallon or add hp for a few pennies , do you not think they would use a low restriction intake tube , high flow air filter, super-duper spark plugs , composite intakes, on all their vehicles. I am not saying they will not help ,but they are not really cost effective.
I do see lots more synthetic and lighter weight fluids being used by o.e.m. manufacturers. g.m. is using mobil 1 in Cadillac and corvette's. Toyota uses synthetic transmission fluid and 0w20 oils.
Spend your money there , not on gimmicks that may not work and could possibly damage you engine.

·
Registered
190 Posts

I prefer plugs without the J wire ground, as it impedes the flash front, making for slower combustion. High cylinder pressures at 20 degrees after TDC is the key to high torque from an engine. The faster the combustion takes place the longer the cylinder pressure has to apply force to the piston to produce power. Faster combustion is the goal, and plugs that allow the spark to have unimpeded access to the fuel/air will tend to produce more power from the same amount of fuel. Plugs that take this approach are Splitfire, E3, Bosch Platinum+4 and +2, and a few others.

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (ldheinz @ Jul 31 2009, 12:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743313

I prefer plugs without the J wire ground, as it impedes the flash front, making for slower combustion. High cylinder pressures at 20 degrees after TDC is the key to high torque from an engine. The faster the combustion takes place the longer the cylinder pressure has to apply force to the piston to produce power. Faster combustion is the goal, and plugs that allow the spark to have unimpeded access to the fuel/air will tend to produce more power from the same amount of fuel. Plugs that take this approach are Splitfire, E3, Bosch Platinum+4 and +2, and a few others.
[/b][/quote]

Ok... Really? Fast combustion is better? That is definitely NOT right. If you use all of your combustion right before top dead center, then there goes all over your combustion pressure, just trying to push the piston through the pressure. You want a long controlled burn, that will last after top dead center as well, to push the piston after it goes through the combustion cycle. That will help drive the opposite cylinder (Which ever one is going through the combustion cycle) Push through, and that way it will be easier for that piston to go through its cycle, and it continues on like that.

Second. I believe the premium timing is 17 Degrees ATDC, but I'll look through all my stuff to make sure.

Third, Have you ever seen what happens when a spark plug is under that much pressure? The spark doesn't Jump right to ground. The pressure actually distorts the spark, and shoots it all over the cylinder. Plus, it doesn't matter if the Spark plug has a ground prong. Distance is Distance no matter what you look at. The compressed air fuel mixture is what determines how hard the Ignition has to work to First jump the gap, and then sustain it. Usually 15-20 KV is what it takes to jump the spark gap, and it will then sustain the burn at about 3-KV.

Plus it can't impede the flash front if the plug is whats creating the flash front. I could go on longer, but I don't feel the need to. I'll look up the picture of the spark in the cylinder for you.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (ldheinz @ Jul 31 2009, 10:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743313

[/b][/quote]

O rly?

That sounds like the BS they claim in ads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 31 2009, 04:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743352
QUOTE (ldheinz @ Jul 31 2009, 10:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743313

[/b][/quote]

O rly?

[/b][/quote]

I believe a picture was created just for this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
[/quote]

Why not use these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwXApkLhbc

If you buy them,which you can not yet, You get a dinner with Billy Mays, Shamwow Vince, and a free membership in the scam of the month club . When this inventor, who formerly brought splitfire plugs to this market , and has impeccable engineering credentials , lives about 4 miles from me , within earshot of 3 major automakers , can actually produce these plugs , then i will believe it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts