Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '94 gl and the speedometer squeaks all the time while moving in overdrive :angry:. I have noticed, however, that when I pull back on the shifter, as if to change gears, it stops. It also does not squeak when the car is in regular drive. I've had the dash apart before to put in a Sable gauge cluster. It stopped for a little bit when I did that, but then continued. How can I stop this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
These cars still used cables in 1994? I am not totally familiar with Ford products, so I am just askin'. Most GM cars changed to elctronic sending units for the speedo in the late eighties.

Sounds like you have a pesky squeak behind the dash that is activated by a certain engine rpm, combined with road vibration.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yea the Gen 1s and 2s that didn't have a digital dash had the "classic" setup. Some people say to "lube" the cable, but I have no idea what that means...or where the lube goes on the cable.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Take the cable off and spray some graphite into it. But if it is noisy or you get jerky motion of the speedo needle it is a frayed cable and needs replaced to get rid of the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts