Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see over on SHOFORUM.COM people have turboed their shos. I see the talk of people using mustang injectors for fuel system upgrades, how is this being done? The injectors have the same imped but the pental cap area is different. Can anyone enlighten me here? I have posted the same question there but it says it has to viewed by a moderator before posting, and its been a day or so and the question hasnt been posted so I thgt Id try here. thanks in advance fopr any help.

·
Registered
671 Posts
More air requires more fuel. As your power goes up, you need "larger" injectors to deliver enough fuel, but if you go overboard on the size, you'll lose throttle response and driveability.

Rogue Performance

Read Fred's article on the fuel system. It's based on a vulcan engine, but the theory is the same. Also, I'm running 24# injectors from a V6 SHO in my vulcan, so it's mostly all the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im doing turbo install on my 95, so the air flow will be there. I just want to make sure the required fuel will be there to not go lean. The factory 24lb injectors are good to 5500 rpm with 5-6lbs of boost. This set-up was not tunned , nor had an intercooler. I will be using a front mount intercooler, and a wideband to monitor the a/f ratio, I will also add an inline booster fuel pump. Boost will be keep to a max of 6lbs in this trim until I upgrade the fuel system and air meter.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
You always need a tune when you change injector sizes. This is because of the startup fuel and WOT tables. It will flood and run very rich with larger injectors and no tune.

In closed loop the O2 feedback may keep the AF ratio where it should be. But the open loop is all fixed tables.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You always need a tune when you change injector sizes. This is because of the startup fuel and WOT tables. It will flood and run very rich with larger injectors and no tune.

In closed loop the O2 feedback may keep the AF ratio where it should be. But the open loop is all fixed tables.
I thought the reason for a calibrated MAF would send the signal to the ecu to make the proper start-up and wot adjustments? Thats been the case when I used 24, 30 or 42s in my turbo charged mustangs. If I ordered a C&L MAF meter and order it for say 36lb inj. the SHO ecu still needs to be tuned?? Thanks

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Yes you need the tuning for the larger injectors.

Also ditch the C&L as the it will still max out on the air flow, so you need to go to a Mark 8 or Lightening MAF to handle the larger air flow and again tune for it. Also there have been isues with C&L running lean.

Also you do not need a fuel pump boost but you will need to run a larger 255 fuel pump and aftermarket FPR:
Walbro Fuel Pump
SHO NUT Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit

you should run a Tweecer for your tuning: TwEECer Tuner

48lb injectors work well for turbo and they can be modified to fit the fuel rail: Accel 48lb Injectors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts