Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car shuts off when you come to a stop. It drives great but shuts off when your at a complete stop. I guess there is too much air going into the engine.. In Park it idles at about 1K then i push it up to 3K and let it sit and it goes very close to OK and you can feel the car shake alittle and it goes back up to 1K. This sucks tho, now i have to put everything back together, unless i come up with something that will allow less air to get in. BTW i used a 3" tubing, and a 3" cone filter.. dunno whats wrong..?!?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Sounds like you may have some oil from the filter on your mass air flow sensor. You need to buy som electrical cleaner and spray off the sensor. Dont touch it, just spray it. I use a cleaner called Puretronics Contact Cleaner. www.puretronics.com . I got it at a local electronics shop. Good luck. You also may have created a vacuum leak. Check all of your connections.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The filter i have isn't oiled. It's supposidly a cone filter but it's not oiled. Also i checked for air leaks and i couldnt find any...

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by Smola97GL@Feb 9 2004, 04:54 PM
You also may have created a vacuum leak. Check all of your connections.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Unless you are using forced induction, the engine can only "suck" as much as it can use. Are you getting any engine light thrown or anything? It would be helpful to know if it is leaning out or flooding or what. If it's too much air, you'd be leaning out. You'd get an engine light and the ecu code would be "lean condition bank #"

Let's see... other things to check.... maybe the fuel pump is on it's last leg? Maybe your injectors are dirty? Maybe one of the intake sensors are malfunctioning or have failed all together? The engine should be able to compensate for any amount of air it can suck in under Natural Asperation.

-Dan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I disconnected the MAF connector piece that i made from the 3" tubing and it didnt stall on me. turns out there isn't enough air commin from the filter and the tubing.. ?? who knows. Maybe it could be the filter? ill investigate more.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
If you wanna be really extream, you could put in a y-pipe and two air filters before the MAF...

-Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts