Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, blew a head gasket so i went and replaced them. Car ran like crap, kept throwing codes, ended up replacing 4 sensors (ones it would say was bad) finally it just plain ran like butt so did a compression test and Cyl 1 and 4 were real low..so off the heads come again. Well taking them in next week to have them checked, maybe somehow both end valves went bad (yeah right, like that happens) and noticed the heads have markings on them..as in yard markings..as in they have been replaced before (unless Ford started using white paint markers..lol) and started looking at they cylinder walls and guess what..cross hatch marks..looks like my engine has been redone before. I dont think its rings..hard to believe 1&4 would go out at the same time. We have like 125k on the car..put 15k on since we bought it, figgured if the rings were put in bad we would have found out a LONG time ago. I am about at the end of my rope..wondering how hard the Bull engine is to swap? its a 3.0 with the single cam with auto tranny..wonder how cheap these engines are..its driving me NUTZ!!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by CodyG@Sep 4 2004, 04:22 AM
OK, blew a head gasket so i went and replaced them. Car ran like crap, kept throwing codes, ended up replacing 4 sensors (ones it would say was bad) finally it just plain ran like butt so did a compression test and Cyl 1 and 4 were real low..so off the heads come again. Well taking them in next week to have them checked, maybe somehow both end valves went bad (yeah right, like that happens) and noticed the heads have markings on them..as in yard markings..as in they have been replaced before (unless Ford started using white paint markers..lol) and started looking at they cylinder walls and guess what..cross hatch marks..looks like my engine has been redone before. I dont think its rings..hard to believe 1&4 would go out at the same time. We have like 125k on the car..put 15k on since we bought it, figgured if the rings were put in bad we would have found out a LONG time ago.  I am about at the end of my rope..wondering how hard the Bull engine is to swap? its a 3.0 with the single cam with auto tranny..wonder how cheap these engines are..its driving me NUTZ!!!
Actually... i've seen quite a few high mileage vulcans that have been apart that still have the cross-hatching on the cylinder walls. This is definitely a good sign. What you should have done before you took the cylinder heads off was a cylinder leakage test. This would have indicated right away whether your problem was in rings, valve seats, head gasket....etc.... I regularly do engine diagnostics and for the most part I've seen bad compression due to bad valves & valve seats. At any rate..... you should be able to pick up a vulcan engine rather cheaply. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a compression test..1 and 4 were real low..but wasnt a choppy back/forth reading that is usually associated with bad rings..just was about half of what the other cylinders were. On bikes at least if the rings are bad it wil read almost normal..then drop to half..normal..ect or be REAL choppy to build up. It just went up to where it was and stayed there, thats why we are thinking stuck valves..have to call a machine shop to see how much they want to inspect heads.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
sounds like you just got a bad engine... I've seen vulcans go with barley any miles on ebay for around 500 bucks, complete with everything.

I have yellow X's on alot of my engine parts on my duratec....would that mean its been rebuilt, or torn apart???

G

·
Cross hatching still being intact is normal, even on a higher mileage Vulcan. I don't think the engine's been redone. My guess would be that either the valves are bent, and leaking compression, or the heads are cracked.

Did you do a dry and wet compression test? If the compression comes up with a wet compression test, it's a dead ringer (no pun intended) for a ring sealing problem. If it doesn't come up with a wet test, it's head/gasket related.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I plan on going out and getting a gallon of parts cleaner and pouring some in the head chambers to see if it leaks out..which would say valves arent seating..I need to find a machinest straight edge to check for warpage. I know the heads have been replaced, see the yard markings on them, and dont think its the rings (HOPE its not the rings cause its easier to replace the whole emgine than to rebuild it) hope its just valves. Anyone know a good priced online place to buy gasket sets, valves, ect? Any idea..if I was stupid enough to attept is..how much just rebuilding the engine would cost vs replacing it?

G

·
The cheapest gasket set and head bolts are available at Autozone.

If it's the rings, don't bother rebuilding, just throw in a good condition used engine. Most junkyards will warranty them for 90 days.

Also, around here, I can get a set of heads pressure checked, cleaned and surfaced for $130. Good insurance, and money well spent. The combustion chamber leakdown method won't show a cracked head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I planed on getting the heads checked more..the leakdown is just a start. The want "$90 for a valve job" which when i send my customers heads away to be done is dis-assemble, clean, inspect, reassemble..but here it doesnt look like that. A grinding of the valve seats/surfacing is $300..doesnt seem right, but maybe thats fair. Have to call around and find prices for a engine..I have a feeling around here they arent cheap (if $200 buys you heads..hate to see what the whole engine costs!!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts