Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got up today and had a bad feeling about going to class. I decided to take dad's diesel(99 f250 4wd), well.....sure enough I ended up about 15 feet into a field due to a patch of ice concealed by the snow. I tried everything to get out, and just made it worse(mud under the snow). Well, I had to wait roughly 30min for a tow truck to come and get me, and he even had issues getting me out..... :blink:

I finally got out, and finally got to school, but I missed the class I needed to be at, we had our final today, but oh well, at least I tried.

I'll see if I can get the pics off the phone

Andrew

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
HA HA, 4wd only means you get stuck further out.......

FWIW I love my SHO in the snow. Handles great and is quite a bit of fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I hear that a lot, 4wd just put u farther in haha. Pretty much true, tough i feel a lot more confident getting around stop and go town with heavy snow all over in the fiance's jeep that I would either of my fwd's. Something about getting out in traffic and outta the way quick just does it for me.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
yeah, completely unrelated to this story, but i'm tired of ******** in 4x4's up here riding my ass cuz they can get going faster than i can in my fwd w/ crappy tires. was almost run over last night in the snow storm cuz some guy in a jeep decided he didn't need to slow down...so yeah, if you own a 4x4 how bout you show some courtesy to us little guys and stop acting like you own the damn planet....even though you can drive on more of it than i can, haha

sucks about getting stuck andrew, and even more so that you missed a final. maybe you can make it up or something? idk :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Ohhh yea, I have 4x4's riding up quick on me a lot. I give everyone room no matter what I'm in. I sometimes wish I could push poor car's having troubles getting going with the jeep without smashing there tails lights or bumper, or the front of the jeep haha. I pulled 3ppl outta snowbanks last year. Including a fed ex truck outta the end of my parents driveway. I just happen to be home plowing. Got the red jeep and yanked him out in one pull. Now that was fun! 45* angle down the road and he still kept on trucking out slowly and into the road.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
90% of people with these awd and 4x4 don't have the tires and they think they can ride your ass.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i hear lots of sliding on ice...i hope you guys know that youre not suppost to gun the engine or slam on the brakes when sliding...just coast and steer slowly

not telling you folks how to drive, im just sayin..

:D
Michael

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey, people people, plz lets not fight.

The only problem with Diesel is the fuel. In the dam cold wether it just turn to sludge. Once you get it started though it runs for a long ass time.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
90% of people with these awd and 4x4 don't have the tires and they think they can ride your ass.
[/b]
:werd: And when will those same people learn that four wheel drive doesn't help them stop or turn? :noes: 90% of the people I see in ditches around here are in 4x4s.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
:werd: And when will those same people learn that four wheel drive doesn't help them stop or turn? :noes: 90% of the people I see in ditches around here are in 4x4s. [/b][/quote]

Saw a 4x4 SUV upside-down in a ditch the other day...made me laugh.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
My mom put her 00 mountaineer on its lid. But was due to a hard bounce in the road going uphill through the car sideways and went in and endo'd over.

and now that you say that, I see more 4x4 suv's in the ditch than car's trucks aren't to common.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not that I had any issues otherwise, I came off a snow covered section and onto a sheet of ice, and well....an 8000lb truck doesn't stop very well on ice. Hahaha, and it was stuck good. I finally got around to plowing the driveway and left a drifted section of the barnlot unplowed so I could see how the SHO took snow.....it happily went through a consistant 2 ft drift.......it will never see a salted roadway again though....:)

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
my parents's 2002 vulcan SES will go through anything, snow wise. last year during the blizzard we had here, i was easily pulling through 3 foot deep drifts that were a hundred feet long. meanwhile, all around me i saw cars and suvs off the road. made me appreciate the taurus even more.

this year, my DD is my 1976 F-150. its only 2wd, but i have some decently deep tread tires on the back, so it does really well.

for some reason, ive never had a problem driving any vehicle in the winter... car, truck, suv, 2wd, 4wd, loaded up or with no extra weight. it just takes some common sense and a bit of skill is all. i dont know why everyone around here seems to have no clue how to drive in the snow. i would pit myself in my 2wd truck up against the average 4wd truck driver around here any day, as far as being able to drive safely, but at a good speed too. super slow drivers kind anger me (like the guy who was driving a new Cadillac DTS 30 in a 55 on saturday in mild-to-moderate snow on a good road), but i would rather someone go slow than push it beyond the limits of their driving skill. i guess it just takes patients to drive this time of year.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We drive a good hour and a half on christmas day every year to my grandmas. Usually theres a good storm that pounds us on the way there. People will pass us doing 75+ and then we find them 1/4 up the freeway in the ditch on their roof. We honk and continue on.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
my parents's 2002 vulcan SES will go through anything, snow wise. last year during the blizzard we had here, i was easily pulling through 3 foot deep drifts that were a hundred feet long. meanwhile, all around me i saw cars and suvs off the road. made me appreciate the taurus even more.

this year, my DD is my 1976 F-150. its only 2wd, but i have some decently deep tread tires on the back, so it does really well.

for some reason, ive never had a problem driving any vehicle in the winter... car, truck, suv, 2wd, 4wd, loaded up or with no extra weight. it just takes some common sense and a bit of skill is all. i dont know why everyone around here seems to have no clue how to drive in the snow. i would pit myself in my 2wd truck up against the average 4wd truck driver around here any day, as far as being able to drive safely, but at a good speed too. super slow drivers kind anger me (like the guy who was driving a new Cadillac DTS 30 in a 55 on saturday in mild-to-moderate snow on a good road), but i would rather someone go slow than push it beyond the limits of their driving skill. i guess it just takes patients to drive this time of year.
[/b]
A 2wd truck with good tires and weight in the back is almost as good as a 4x4 truck and better than a 4x4 truck with crappy tires.

Same thing with my Taurus, I've gone through a foot of snow (kinda plowed the road a little) up and down hills with not much of a problem. Good tires make a great difference.

The only time I got the taurus stuck was when I parked in slush and it turned to ice and the subframe froze in all of the slush.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

[/b]
haha, its tires were down to the wear bars.....now it has new ones....:) and my sable is a snow fiend, altho I did get it stuck last year as I got it high centered on snow. The SHO made it around our drifted barnlot very well.....thankfully no salt.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Man... you guys really have something against 4x4 SUVs! :blink:

When I'm driving the Expedition, I leave as much room for people as I would in any other vehicle. Apparently it only takes a few to give bad names to all SUV drivers!

The only time I really need/use 4WD in the winter is going up steep hills that are snowed/frozen over or using it to get out of any big snow piles, fields, etc. that may pose a problem. Never had an issue with the Expedition though. It's been able to get me through anything I've had to deal with. :)

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
[/b]
I'm not going to lie, I used to HATE them years ago, but I don't really care now as long as the drivers aren't being asses (heavy vehicle and higher bumpers = me looking like this :bandaged:)

My grandfather moved into my house the other day and his 01 Nissan Pathfinder is in our driveway, we won't let him drive it anymore though because he has NO idea what's going on when driving. I took it down the street in the snow and had a blast in it using 4wd to slide around corners in the industrial park. I'd love to have an awd or 4wd car, I just drive too much for an SUV, so the fuel would suck. (I drive about 30k a year) If I have the chance I'm going to take his truck though, I really want to move out to Western MA where it snows a lot and the Pathfinder would be great.

·
Registered
799 Posts

[/b]
Truck envy, misinformed, jealousy, along with stories of cars driving through snow banks almost as high as their roof for 100 ft. ...... :rolleyes: :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts