Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
I had a leak on the D/S on my 03.
Turned out there was a small opening right by the parking brake release behind the giant wiring harness.
Looked like the factory sealing missed it.
Siliconed the area with no further problems. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I have been bitten by this bug. About 9 months ago, we found water sitting in the passenger floorboard. Found online the problem surrounding the cabin air filter(magically this happened after we had the oil changed, I'm guessing they messup up the filter/area checking it).

Anyways, now the AC in the 2000 tuarus will only work on the highest setting "4" FULL BLAST. All the settings...defrost, heater, AC Max AC, only work on the highest setting.. Does this sound like something caused from the water through the blower motor, or something else on my hands? If it is the blower motor, how hard of a job is this for yourself and how expensive?

·
Registered
22,441 Posts
^ Bad thermal blower resistor. Available at a parts store or dealer for under $20. Sits up under the glove box. Fix the h2o leak or you'll be replacing the blower motor too. Probably need to do the "rainhat extension" (a rubber awning which extends the roof of the cabin (pollen) filter available at the dealership for an exorbitant amount for some lousy black rubber). Iirc, ~$35-40. I would also silicone around the ac drain on the passenger firewall. Fill in the recess around the black plastic oval drain tube.

·
Registered
18 Posts
^Thanks! I actually heard this could be a possibility, but figured with my luck it was the motor. I didn't want to pay stupid Ford for their rubber piece when I fixed the problem last year, so my dad who works in metal fab built a cover for the filter and we sealed everything up. No water problem in 9 months, just the stupid AC thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm going to check mine now. I've been having the mysterious passenger side floor wet for a few weeks now and I've been hearing something rattling in the front too. Hopefully this will solve my problems with this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess you can add me to the list. Same wet floor on the passenger side. Seems to be leaking in from the kick panel area (panel that's closest to your right foot/right next to passenger fender). If anything unusual I will update this thread. Screw it, will update either way with pics if I can. This forum and everyone in here is awesome

Peter

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also had this problem almost 8 Months ago. Except mine was most assuredly coming from the blower motor / housing, as I could see where it dripped on the side 'kick' panel of the floor

I had the AC lines blown out and that seemed to stop the problem. There was no rain for a very long while and it didn't seem to get wet when washing my car.

It did come back one time, and I really noticed it one morning when it was pouring down, and I had the A/C Defroster / Defogger on for the front windshield. I went in to Classes that morning, and came back out at 3:15P.M. to find the floor wet, even after it had been sitting in the 85 Degree heat all day.

About 5 Months ago, I learned about the cabin air filter, and remembering how my car had been driven on dirt roads when I got it, and decided to replace it.

I found that I'll call "Rain Catch" Lip over the Filter housing (Where the Arrows Are Pointing) was actually somehow sagging down lower than this picture especially toward the right side. I simply pushed the "Rain Catch" Lip up (Where the Arrows are Pointing) and I heard it 'click' back into place, and replaced the air filter, making sure to clean the foam seal's, and snugly tighten the cowl down with the screws and metal clamps

My Car also has the warped cowling to where the large piece on the passengers side has a 'Bow' in it, and does not seal to the windshield anymore.

I have no longer had this problem anymore, and I have driven it in heavy rain with the air on, and done everything possible to replicate the situation.

This isn't my car, (Mine's a little cleaner :)) but it is the same in every way, even down to the color.

Here is an even better View. The Rain Catch is right where the Letters are, and where the Yellow Arrows are pointing.

The yellow Line is where My rain catch was (Like I said I don't know how or why but was never the less, sagging down very much on the right side)

Also Note, where the Bow in the Cowl is located.

I have tried to simulate what I believe was happening as if the car was in motion.

This worked for my car, just wanted to post this as it might help someone!!

All cost me ~$75 ($40 to blow the lines out and clean everything, $35 for 2 Air filters just to have an extra)

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
I also had this problem almost 8 Months ago. Except mine was most assuredly coming from the blower motor / housing, as I could see where it dripped on the side 'kick' panel of the floor

I had the AC lines blown out and that seemed to stop the problem. There was no rain for a very long while and it didn't seem to get wet when washing my car.

It did come back one time, and I really noticed it one morning when it was pouring down, and I had the A/C Defroster / Defogger on for the front windshield. I went in to Classes that morning, and came back out at 3:15P.M. to find the floor wet, even after it had been sitting in the 85 Degree heat all day.

About 5 Months ago, I learned about the cabin air filter, and remembering how my car had been driven on dirt roads when I got it, and decided to replace it.

I found that I'll call "Rain Catch" Lip over the Filter housing (Where the Arrows Are Pointing) was actually somehow sagging down lower than this picture especially toward the right side. I simply pushed the "Rain Catch" Lip up (Where the Arrows are Pointing) and I heard it 'click' back into place, and replaced the air filter, making sure to clean the foam seal's, and snugly tighten the cowl down with the screws and metal clamps

My Car also has the warped cowling to where the large piece on the passengers side has a 'Bow' in it, and does not seal to the windshield anymore.

I have no longer had this problem anymore, and I have driven it in heavy rain with the air on, and done everything possible to replicate the situation.

This isn't my car, (Mine's a little cleaner :)) but it is the same in every way, even down to the color.

This worked for my car, just wanted to post this as it might help someone!!

All cost me ~$75 ($40 to blow the lines out and clean everything, $35 for 2 Air filters just to have an extra)
See pic, I now have ran hat extension on all 3 of my Sables, only the '01 got water in the blower motor. No issue after the rain hat extension.
Got mine from the JY.
Apply to build dates 5-1-01 to 12-15-03. Per pic from Ford.

-chart-

·
Registered
78 Posts
See pic, I now have ran hat extension on all 3 of my Sables, only the '01 got water in the blower motor. No issue after the rain hat extension.
Got mine from the JY.
Apply to build dates 5-1-01 to 12-15-03. Per pic from Ford.

-chart-
Aw sweet so was I was somewhat right?? :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have this same issue - removed my windshield cowling and replaced my cabin filter - put it back (painted the windshield trim and wiper arms) and now I have this leak.

The windshield cowling doesn't pull down tight in one place - it appears to be leaking high, from behind the blower motor (opened the glove box) it's dripping down from where your right foot would be if you were sitting on the passenger side.

Help! (why this turns my pic around sideways - I have no idea. The build date of my car is 1/19/00)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
I have this same issue - removed my windshield cowling and replaced my cabin filter - put it back (painted the windshield trim and wiper arms) and now I have this leak.

The windshield cowling doesn't pull down tight in one place - it appears to be leaking high, from behind the blower motor (opened the glove box) it's dripping down from where your right foot would be if you were sitting on the passenger side.

Help! (why this turns my pic around sideways - I have no idea. The build date of my car is 1/19/00)
The windshield trim means nothing to water. Leave it off and run a hose over the glass, No leak.

See pic, the glass overhangs the seal at the bottom, and water runs off onto the metal tray and then to the rain hat in a valley about the right hand side of the red box. On the rain hat, it drains off either end of the rain hat. That rainhat hinges up for the filter, but must latch back down in place.

The cowl seal to the glass keeps leaves and trash out of the water collection. and ice and snow and such.

-chart-

-

·
Registered
258 Posts
So - is it cowl? This is a pretty serious situation. I don't see how it can be the AC hose - that's pretty hard to get to on the firewall.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
i had the same problem with my 2001 LS. Turns out the guys at the local valvoline oil change joint had broken part of the cover off when checking the cabin air filter, which they always try to sell. i put a hose there and was able to recreate the leak. i literally cut a corner off of a 1-gallon orange juice bottle and set it over the corner that was broken. no longer have the leak. i do not have pix at this time. just remove cover and pour water in. have your carpet pulled back, etc. inside and you will see the leak. i chased this for about a year! good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most of the pictures detailing the components and where to caulk are no longer showing. Does anyone have some they can upload?

Not only did I have a wet floor, but it completely rusted out. This morning, the blower literally froze and wouldn't come on until I removed the cover, and smacked it a few times (highly technical).

Please help detail this fix. I can't tell what the rain hat looks like, or where to caulk. I am huessing I can figure it out when I pull everything apart, but knowing what you are in for always helps.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Most of the pictures detailing the components and where to caulk are no longer showing. Does anyone have some they can upload?

Not only did I have a wet floor, but it completely rusted out. This morning, the blower literally froze and wouldn't come on until I removed the cover, and smacked it a few times (highly technical).

Please help detail this fix. I can't tell what the rain hat looks like, or where to caulk. I am huessing I can figure it out when I pull everything apart, but knowing what you are in for always helps.
Works for me. But if violated the rule, I used black silicone and not clear. :lol2:

-chart-

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
39 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing