Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up some speakers from work that they were getting rid of. They didn't come with an amp and I don't have anything like that. I started looking on crutchfield today, but I don't know anything about audio equipment or how to match speakers and amps. These are the speakers that I got (4 of em). Let me know what a cheap option would be. I was thinking something like this. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I bought a cheap $40 surround sound system from walmart and used the speakers I was given. Sounds great for $40

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Go to Ebay...
type "carver receiver" into the search box and hit enter.
down towards the bottom of the page is an HR-732.
I have one very similar to this (mine is a 752). Have had it since 1990. It Kicks Ass!
I have an HR-742 in the garage....also great!
Jeff

P.S. I paid nearly a grand for my 752 back in the day....worth every penny!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to Ebay...
type "carver receiver" into the search box and hit enter.
down towards the bottom of the page is an HR-732.
I have one very similar to this (mine is a 752). Have had it since 1990. It Kicks Ass!
I have an HR-742 in the garage....also great!
Jeff

P.S. I paid nearly a grand for my 752 back in the day....worth every penny!
[/b]
Pardon my inexperience in this area, but wouldn't I need at least a 4 channel amp for four speakers? The specs on the speakers say that they can handle 175 watts each. Would I be ok with anything less than that?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Most home receivers have 4 main speaker outputs. Wether it be a stereo receiver, or a surround unit. They have an "a" and "b" They get the same exact signals per side. "a" left and "b" left and same for rights. You really should check out your local Craigslist electronics section. You could easily score a pretty nice receiver for under $50. That Onkyo is only a stereo receiver, you could never add more speakers to make multi-channel true surround sound.

edit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STDG520/So...520.html?tp=179 that is 10x better and has way more potential then that Onkyo for $200.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
When I saw the title I immediately thought of the Denon AVR-789 (I will have one some day B) )...it isn't cheap though lol! I have a Denon AVR-1707 that I purchased from a pawn shop (refurbished but I don't think anyone used it) for only $250. It is 7.1ch but lacks HDMI capability...great receiver imo.

I like JBL speakers...recently purchased a set of new Venue Stadiums on clearance (basically 2 for the price of 1) along with a center and surrounds. Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
So I picked up some speakers from work that they were getting rid of. They didn't come with an amp and I don't have anything like that. I started looking on crutchfield today, but I don't know anything about audio equipment or how to match speakers and amps. These are the speakers that I got (4 of em). Let me know what a cheap option would be. I was thinking something like this. Thanks. [/b]

That receiver you picked is 4-Ohm capable, so you could run two speakers in parallel per channel. That's what I would recommend anyways.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found this locally on craigslist. It's a pretty nice one. He wants $300 for it but I'm going to offer $250. Receiver

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Pawn shop

·
Registered
99 Posts
Receiver

I found one one sale that I'm going to get. What do you guys think?
[/b]
The speakers have an 8 ohm impedance and an RMS of 175 watts with a sensitivity of 92 dB.

Although the power amp in the receiver is more likely to go into clipping before you ever reach the rated continuous wattage, much less the peak wattage, I don't think the receiver is going to have much trouble driving the speakers because of the efficiency.

I would consider spending a little more and getting a model that is a bit more powerful to cover the clipping risk, just in case; the 100w per channel claim for the Yamaha is definitely marketing bunk; it may be able to pull off roughly 50 watts per channel in real world usage, give or take a few.

Also, entertain models from Denon and Harman/Kardon.

As for wattage ratings for H/K, please consider that H/K tends to measure their amp power rather conservatively; the power that an H/K amp may be capable of is often a bit higher than what is advertised.

Plus, you might also want to consider putting the JBLs up for sale and getting a set of speakers more appropriate for home use. The JBL model that you have shown is meant for use in conditions where the speaker could be subject to harsh environments and was designed for playing background music and paging, which means a compromise may have been made to it in regards to sound quality to achieve its durability for its intended function; the frequency response is 60 Hz - 16 kHz.

The low end of the response is just a little bit underwhelming, considering the bass/midrange driver is 8 inches, but the high end response is too low for critical listening. The curve as shown on the speaker spec PDF shows the upper range sharply falling off, reflecting the 16 kHz rated maximum response.

In listening, this means the highs of your JBLs may not sound as crisp and detailed as it could with a set of JBLs designed for a home audio system.

You should get a speaker that can achieve 19 or 20 kHz at the upper range while maintaining as level of a curve throughout the entire audible spectrum as is possible.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div class='quotemain'>
Receiver

I found one one sale that I'm going to get. What do you guys think?
[/b]
The speakers have an 8 ohm impedance and an RMS of 175 watts with a sensitivity of 92 dB.

Although the power amp in the receiver is more likely to go into clipping before you ever reach the rated continuous wattage, much less the peak wattage, I don't think the receiver is going to have much trouble driving the speakers because of the efficiency.

I would consider spending a little more and getting a model that is a bit more powerful to cover the clipping risk, just in case; the 100w per channel claim for the Yamaha is definitely marketing bunk; it may be able to pull off roughly 50 watts per channel in real world usage, give or take a few.

Also, entertain models from Denon and Harman/Kardon.

As for wattage ratings for H/K, please consider that H/K tends to measure their amp power rather conservatively; the power that an H/K amp may be capable of is often a bit higher than what is advertised.

Plus, you might also want to consider putting the JBLs up for sale and getting a set of speakers more appropriate for home use. The JBL model that you have shown is meant for use in conditions where the speaker could be subject to harsh environments and was designed for playing background music and paging, which means a compromise may have been made to it in regards to sound quality to achieve its durability for its intended function; the frequency response is 60 Hz - 16 kHz.

The low end of the response is just a little bit underwhelming, considering the bass/midrange driver is 8 inches, but the high end response is too low for critical listening. The curve as shown on the speaker spec PDF shows the upper range sharply falling off, reflecting the 16 kHz rated maximum response.

In listening, this means the highs of your JBLs may not sound as crisp and detailed as it could with a set of JBLs designed for a home audio system.

You should get a speaker that can achieve 19 or 20 kHz at the upper range while maintaining as level of a curve throughout the entire audible spectrum as is possible.
[/b][/quote]

That's good to know. I'm a complete newb when it comes to audio equipment of all sorts. I picked up the speakers cause they looked like they would be good, albeit a little large for home use. I could probably sell them and get a pretty kickass surround sound home theater package. They are going on amazon for about $460 a pair. I will hold off on the receiver for now. I got some pretty crappy news on Saturday that puts my financial future in a somewhat perilous state... :angry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts