Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my question is how do i change the fluid to ATF V i am thinking of pulling the bottom hose that is in front of the radiator and let it drain and run the car can any one tell my if that is right or wrong and if it is wrong tell me the right way ?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Check the manual. If you have Mercon III, then you shouldn't worry because I believe that's the (minimum) recommended fluid for steering.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Check the manual. If you have Mercon III, then you shouldn't worry because I believe that's the (minimum) recommended fluid for steering.
It's been elevated to Mercon V.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Any ATF will work. To change it out with a completely different type fluid (such as the commercial PS fluid) pull the cooler hose off and let it drain. Then refill. Do not mix ATF and the universal PS fluid.

But it is much better to use ATF, drain just the reservoir and refill with new fluid. Do this once a week for about a month. Use a turkey baster to drain the reservoir.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my pump is new but it still whining i think i got all the air out of it but still just a lot of whining

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you use regular PS fluid, the pump wears out more quickly and can start whining.
Oh, in this case, I would like to change mine to Mercon V ATF too. I know I can keep changing the fluid in the top reservoir, but that takes too long. Is there a way to flush the whole system at once? I might be taking off the front bumper some time soon to install a transmission cooler.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
IIRC The commercial PS fluid is GL5 based and doesn't lubricate our PS boxes that well. Its best to use MERCON V (supersedes the MERCON Specification). (note, there is no such thing as MERCON III. You're thinking Dexron III which is a similar spec to MERCON. It's JUST MERCON.)

My buddy is running that GL5 fluid in his Jeeps just fine.. but I've always had ATF+4 in mine. So do what you want, but I'd still recommend running MERCON V in your PS Pump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts