Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
That's about the simplese install you'll ever do. You'll need a foot or so of 3/8 hose (make sure you tell the parts guy it's for tranny fluid), and three hose clamps. The rest is pretty self explanatory, but let us know if you need anything.

B

·
0 Posts
I blew the headgaskets on my Vulcan, not once, but twice.
Yep, I'm an animal.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was that a gen3 vulcan? scares me..

with regard to the tranny cooler install.. I and a tough time putting that B&M cooler insde the valance panel.
Finally it is sitting on the center of the valance panel... a portion of the cooler butts against the bottom of the radiator.

I had to push & bend the center of the valance panel when putting the bolts of the valance panel. the cooler as such was tightly butted between the valance & the botton of the radiator (actually butts against metal bar at the botton of the radiator & not the fins.).

I hooked it up in series with the stock tranny cooler tube, and made sure that the hoses are not kinked.

2 Questions for you.

- Now the gap between the valance & the bottom of the radiator is gone (atleast at the center of the valance where the B&M cooler is sitting)... so anything hitting the center of the valance will push against the radiaor

- The 3/8" hose i got says "fuel/emission" is this the correct rubber hose for tranny cooler?

thx

B

·
0 Posts
I installed mine on the driver's side of the valance panel, where there's more space. It overlaps the factory cooling holes in the valance, so it gets some airflow, and doesn't completely block the holes so the engine bay still gets some airflow too. I will eventually cut some holes in the valance panel for the cooler also.

I don't think you'll do any damage the way it is, but check it out evey so often to make sure it's not damaging the radiator.

That hose will be fine. There's not a lot of pressure, but you need to be sure the hose is resistant to the trans fluid, which that type is.

As far as the head gaskets, yup, it was the Gen 3. It was y own fault though. I had a misfire that I ignored for about 2 months, and the car was low on coolant also. Preventative maintenance, man!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does adding this B&M cooler increase tranny fluid capacity

Do I have to add a littl emore ATF?

thx

B

·
0 Posts
It will increase it slightly, but just follow the level on the dipstick and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey bob,

what abt those strut change procedure/pics.. have you posted 'em.

also, if u get you hands on gen 3 front sway bar end links.. ping me. I am not sure if the ones I have are bad.. so dont wanna go for new ones...
thx.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damm
i connected the b&m cooler i got on ebay. (above)
There was tranny fluid dripping. It was dark.. so could not get a good look.
hope its only at the hose fitting...

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
If its coming from the hose connection, my suggestion is to get some silicon tape (that plumbers use to wrap around pipe fitting threads), and wrap that around the two fittings coming out of the cooler. Then slide the rubber hose over them as usual and clamp down. Just be careful of all the tranny fluid that will spill out of the hose when you unhook it. I had a small drip in my tranny cooler coming from the connections to the hoses and this solved the problem nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts