Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 4 months my 02 Taurus has been at the dealership garage more than I have had it. It will run fine for several days and then when driving slow or at the stoplight, it dies, starts right back up, but then surges. They have replaced (1) Upper intake gaskets (2) idle air control valve, and (3)just last week, the fuel pump (of which they were sure would take care of the problem and it did not.) According to them, they have all been driving it, but only one could get the car to act up.

Picked the car up yesterday, husband drove to gas station and it died twice at the stoplights and did it's usual surging and bucking! It had 1/4 tank of fuel in it. After husband filled it up, it drove and acted fine.

Another odd thing that happened during the times I have had it when it wasn't at the dealership, is that I heard an extremely loud thump under the car (sounded like under the front passenger seat) but it happened so quickly and never done it again. Dealership couldn't see anything that would have caused this. I am wasting my time at the dealership garage.

Every type of filter imaginable has been replaced and quite frankly don't know what to do next. Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
What engine? Vulcan or Duratec?

Have they checked all vacuum lines, including the PCV hoses for leaks / loose? Has the CEL ever come on? Have they checked the wiring harness for damage / rub thru?

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Thump

The last 4 months my 02 Taurus has been at the dealership garage more than I have had it. It will run fine for several days and then when driving slow or at the stoplight, it dies, starts right back up, but then surges. They have replaced (1) Upper intake gaskets (2) idle air control valve, and (3)just last week, the fuel pump (of which they were sure would take care of the problem and it did not.) According to them, they have all been driving it, but only one could get the car to act up.

Picked the car up yesterday, husband drove to gas station and it died twice at the stoplights and did it's usual surging and bucking! It had 1/4 tank of fuel in it. After husband filled it up, it drove and acted fine.

Another odd thing that happened during the times I have had it when it wasn't at the dealership, is that I heard an extremely loud thump under the car (sounded like under the front passenger seat) but it happened so quickly and never done it again. Dealership couldn't see anything that would have caused this. I am wasting my time at the dealership garage.

Every type of filter imaginable has been replaced and quite frankly don't know what to do next. Any ideas??
After a "thump" best check for broken springs, usually fronts. They break at the bottom coil maybe 2/3rd way around for the first break. Pic shows were the first break will ususlly happen. You can reach over the tire and feel the bottom coil for the first break.

I say frist break because after that it will soon break again and this time the spring may come out and drop the car down, hopefully not put the spring through the tire.

Experience speaking. I have heard that sound that is like someone hit the bottom of the car with a big hammer. Twice. '95 and '01.

-chart-

·
Registered
564 Posts
That doesn't sound fun at all.... Have they told you what, if any, trouble codes are showing up?

·
Registered
10,940 Posts

Yes.

Any shop worth it's sale has a recorder they can put on your car and monitor all the values in the system many times per secnd. Been around for several years.

Several years ago, I had a Lin under warrenty, nearly new and it had a once and a while severe hesitation. They were going to put a recorder on it but theirs was out, (they had only one?) but they got a bulletin about reprogramming the system and it never happened again, so I did not use the recorder. As they described it, they put a button velcrowed to the column. When it acted up, you pushed the button and thus it recorded the time that you sensed some event. They could then trace back the recorded data and see what went wrong.

I have a simple CarChip recorder that I keep on one of my cars and it watches several things that I choose. But it only records every 5 seconds. Only does high speed recording when the car is wrecked. By simple I mean a ~$70 plug in unit. Says it can record 300 driving hours, but I never go that long of course between downloads to my computer.

Any "good" shop would have a much more complicated recorder.

Best of Luck

-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts